Chapter Fourteen

A/N: Note the POV change!  It'll go back to normal next chapter.

Annabeth Chase POV:

I was dragging my feet a bit as Percy and I walked home. It was really nice out today, so we wanted to enjoy it instead of making Mrs. O'Leary take us home.

That whole interaction with Caleb was a mess. I had no idea that he liked me like that. I guess I had been so focused on Percy that I hadn't even considered the possibility of another guy being interested. Percy's my soulmate, so I figured I wouldn't have to worry about stuff like this. Now Caleb seems really mad, and I might've just ruined our friendship. Even worse, the entire friend group might be awkward now. Who knows whose side everyone will be on?

I know that Emma supports us, so I can definitely count on her, and probably Andrew as well. I wouldn't blame her if she had told him by now, but I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Caleb and Andrew are best friends, so he's probably confiding in him.  So then whose side would Andrew be on?  Are there even sides?  Gods, this is confusing.

And then there's Jordan. I like to think that we're friends, but we honestly don't have much in common. I'm focusing on school, camp, architecture, and Percy, so my life is pretty much figured out. Jordan's more of a wild card. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, it's just that we're pretty opposite from each other. I always got the slight feeling that she didn't like me, but I'm still not sure why.

I glance up at Percy, who's smiling at little boy and his dog ahead of us. I can't help but smile with him. He side-eyes me, catching me staring. He winks at me and laughs at the slight blush the grows on my cheeks. I hate that he's still able to do that.

"Well, that whole Caleb thing couldn't have been more awkward, huh?" Percy jokes, putting his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

I sigh, leaning my head back slightly. "Yeah, that's pretty much as bad as it gets. I just hope he's not too mad."

"Did you know?" Percy asked, tilting his head at me.

"Know what?" I replied.

"That he liked you."

I pursed my lips, thinking back on all the conversations that Caleb and I had had. I'd never thought that they meant anything, but I can see it now that he's confessed. "I didn't, but I guess it kind of makes sense."

"Of course it makes sense," Percy retorted, "who wouldn't have a crush on you?"

I giggled, shaking my head. "Shut up, Seaweed Brain."

He shrugged, moving his gaze to the floor and avoiding the cracks in the sidewalk.

"I just feel kind of bad for him," I muttered, "we were hiding our relationship from everyone, so it's not his fault. How was he supposed to know?"

Percy grabs my hand, intertwining our fingers. "Well, I still can't say I appreciate him asking you out."

"Neither can I." I locked my fingers with his. "Now things are going to be so awkward with everyone."

Percy nodded silently, swinging our hands slightly.

"Maybe we shouldn't have made Emma keep the secret," I started again, "it would've made things way less complicated."

Percy raised an eyebrow, smiling down at me. "Oh, does that mean you aren't embarrassed to be dating me anymore?"

"You know I didn't mean it like that," I pouted.

Percy squeezed my hand lightly and planting a soft kiss on top of my head. "I know."

We'd been dating for a while now, but that doesn't mean I don't get butterflies when he does stuff like that. I leaned into him as we walked, and he responded by wrapping his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer.

"I love you, Wise Girl." He whispered softly.

"I love you too, Seaweed Brain." I hummed.

We walked in silence for a bit, just enjoying the sun, the cool breeze, and each other's presence.  Despite living together, we really didn't have that much alone time.  Moments like these had to be cherished.

I hope Percy knows that I'm not embarrassed to be with him.  I didn't want to hide our relationship, I just didn't want things to be weird in the friend group.  If I introduced him to my friends as "Percy, my boyfriend," then that's all they'd see him as.  I wanted them to get to know him before I told them anything, but that kind of backfired.

"You know I'd never be embarrassed of you, right?" I pondered aloud, tilting my head up to look at Percy.

"Of course not," Percy said, shooting me a cheeky grin and dramatically running his hand through his hair. "What's there to be embarrassed of?"

I roll my eyes, but I couldn't help but laugh. "You're a dork, you know that?"

Percy chuckles, and grabs my hand again. "Yeah, but I'm your dork."

I nod, smiling to myself and leaning into him again. Life would be way easier if it was entirely moments like these. Instead I have to deal with my family, monsters, and now this Caleb issue.

Percy slows down, spinning me slightly to face him. "What're you thinking about now? You tensed up a little."

You know, sometimes I hate that he can just read me like a book.

"I'm still just thinking about Caleb. He seemed so mad when he left, and now things are going to be weird on Monday." I sighed.

"Well, he has the weekend to cool off." Percy replied coolly.

"Yeah, I guess, I just have a bad feeling, that's all."

"Hey, what's the worst that could happen?" Percy asked, practically inviting danger.

"Oh gods, don't say that, that never ends well!" I cringed.

"Yeah," Percy laughed, shrugging his shoulders, "you're probably right."

I smirked, looking up at him. "I'm always right."

Percy chuckled, giving me a soft smile.  He cupped my cheek in his hand, leaning down to my height and gently kissing me.  "I know you are, that's what makes you my Wise Girl."

The butterflies are back.

———————————————
I figured after thirteen chapters of dealing with Caleb's overconfident attitude, you guys deserved a bit of wholesome Percabeth content. :)

also 6k reads !!!!!!

5/5/20