Chapter 6

******

The assistant switched off the chair lamp. Sandip had stopped writing whatever it was that he was writing. None of them paid attention now. The Brain Doctor clicked his tongue in dismay and boredom. It was not as if he was tired or anything. But probably his career had never seen dilemmas like that. It was true that he was not a doctor actually. But he had a degree in psychotherapy and his examination of witnesses was in the manner of a doctor. Throughout the Goa special unit he was known for his capabilities of gathering evidences by just interviewing his suspects. For majority of his career he had solved cases without even twice examining the evidences. He gets into the brains. That's it what he do all the time. You know the Sherlock stuff- he see it, he knows it. But this time his methods needed a reconsideration.

"We got nothing. Your face can tell." The assistant said.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I am in utter dismay. None of what this gentleman says, or writes, makes any sense."

"Yeah? Why so, sir?"

Brain Doctor shook his head in the direction of the corridor and went outside. The assistant followed him leaving behind Sandip. Sandip saw both of them exiting and wondered what was the opinion of the Brain Doctor. While both of them exited, the Brain Doctor withdrew his white lab coat. Assistant helped him in the process.

"The Subject/Witness says he was informed of the illegal structure being built near the canopy house. But he neither met the coast guards nor he informed the residents of the house. Secondly, he says the night he went to Calangute was the following day when he saw UC2 which is not correct." Both of them entered another room. The room was a well furnished laboratory and their was a scent of naphthalene in the air that can irk the brains out of anyone.  The brain doctor rushed towards a conical funnel and put it over a burner.

The assistant watched carefully what the Brain Doctor was doing. He gave a gentle swirl to the jar and added some methyl alcohol. He added to crystalline compound to it after a minute and mixed both of them. After a minute, the compounds formed a earth brown gas which looked like bromine but lighter. "This gas, you see, is the most intoxicating drug identified till now in the whole world." He asks the assistant to put on a mask asap. "it is twice as intoxicating as heroin and can cause a permanent brain damage once a person gets addicted to it." He put a label on the jar which said "UC2". 

"Unidentified Compound 2!" the assistant gasped. 

 "Not to be mistaken that Sandip ever took that drug. The drug isn't the cause of brain damage conclusively. But once administered, a person starts to hallucinate certain things. You know how people hallucinate. It isn't something they have never thought of or that has been undiscovered. It is in their mind, in the depth of their brain.

"soon the person starts to get detached from reality and his imaginary world becomes his real world. So much so that he abstains to satisfy the wants of his real life as mundane as breathing. It gets steady and steadier. Soon enough, hypoxia kills the brain." The Brain Doctor explains his diagnosis about the situation.

"Do you think we can track this 'Xavier' down?" 

"Let's give our best" by saying this, the Brain Doctor exits with the assistant and switches on the ventilator of the lab.