Chapter 5

Rush. Sweat. Tense. Then relief and sigh. And again, followed by a cycle of the same feelings. My dreams were not as simple as they seemed (anyone could tell). Sometime a dew forest in which travelled a pack of wolves that stood in a circle. Howling. And surrounded by them would be a she wolf, crying and howling (probably louder). Occasionally, an orchard where a butterfly fed rigorously on a dead corpse. This was the usual. And often insomnia was accompanied to me at nights.  However, this night was unusual- the night I spent at Xavier's. 

After Ana invited me out with her, which appeared to me a kind invitation (kind enough ), I made an attempt for myself. I had no idea what was going through Ms. Ana's naïve brain. I was bare anticipation. 

Are you off from work? The text, I read, was from Ana. It was already evening and almost the time when I ought to have bid farewell to my colleagues. Yep, I'll be there in fifteen minutes. I replied. When I entered the driveway of the canopy house, I could spot her observing from the window in the waiting room. Her eyes gleamed.  She rushed to the door and hugged me as I stood at the threshold. I tried to separate her. It startled me. I felt as if someone was looking at me. "Nobody's here. Where's Xavier?" I asked tensed. She smiled shyly and clicked her tongue. 

"Don't worry. HE IS INSIDE." She yelled as she ran towards the car. "Come on. Quickly." One can tell, she was excited as hell. She was in a celebration mood (God knows why). She wore a georgette  gown, the frills of which blew with the wind. She never wore a jewel except her beauty. We drove to Calangute beach. "What's your story Mr. Patil?" She asked enthusiastically. I saw the tilt in her neck in the rear view mirror. 

"My Story?"

"Yes. Your story. Are you married?"

"Widower"

"Oh my! sad to hear. Did you love her?"

"Of Course!"

"Sometimes, Mr. Patil, I wish, strongly wish that may we get atleast one chance to encounter with our departed loved ones. " She had a depth in her voice. "How did she die?"

"She was murdered." I said. Her head bowed in utter dismay. She held my hand which was  placed on gear shifter. I was startled but then on a second thought I felt I needed it. And I let her hold my hand. 

"I hope she'd be in a better place. Have you ever felt her presence ? As if she is right by your side and watching over you?" I withdrew my hand as she asked me. "Well, of course you do."

It was quiet a ride but we reached our destination. 'Calangute Beach- where people come to live', as the Goans said. The beach was filled with youth and teen, dancing and partying. I could see neon lights everywhere and disco lights glowing and creating a mirage in the sky. The music played to the loudest decibels. People didn't care who they were dancing with.   ("A bourbon for me and a blue lagoon for you, sweetheart" a muscular young guy tells a girl. "What do you mean we have to go? Get some life!" A young girl complained in distance. "No sitting here like uncles. Enjoy yourself up, sissies." two young muscular guys stood immediately. They had a feminine make up on their face.)

"Will you come with me Mr. Patil?" She took me to the bar where we drank a few shots. Everything now was at ease. We were laughing, dancing and enjoying ourselves. I loved it when the her frail dress blew when neon light fell on it. "Mr. Patil..."

"Call me by my first name."

"Sandip, are you enjoying yourself?"

"Yeah, thanks for asking me out. I feel I needed it." we drank another round and we were back to dancing again. ("Daisy, I need to get his pants. That guy's too hot." said a young adult woman who seemed to be pointing in my direction but probably not me. )

Recalling the night it is hard to say if I am stating the fact. I was too drunk to gather accurately. Or maybe the breeze had me hallucinating. Perhaps, the charm of the person I was accompanying for the night. But again, as I say, I was drunk. I saw her talking to a tattooed guy who stood near the palm trees. After she returned, we found a solitary place to recreate. 

"Mind a smoke?" she proffered me the marijuana joint she just bought.

I was a police personnel who had worked with Narcotics department in the past. Should I be indulging myself into this, I thought. But on the other, recreational stuff won't do a harm. "One or two drags won't do a harm, I guess." I smiled positively. After one or two drags, the stuff was literally dancing my brains out. This silence had to be broken or else I would have blacked out. 

"Sandip!!" 

"You know how to drive, right?" I said with a loose tongue as I saw the view turning blur and eventually black. I gave her my wallet which had my police ID. "Address".  I tried to get up but to no avail. I tried again to gather my senses and get up with my strength. I could clearly imagine the degradation of my reputation if Miss Ana had to take the pain or to gather some stranger's help to carry me to my car. Seeing my helplessness she tried to pick me up but I asked her to let me get up on my own. God! The stuff was strong. It was no bloody "herbal ecstasy". I got up on my own now. I groped her shoulders to guide me to the car. She held my hand. 

"Don't worry. You will be alright." She said. It was as if I could find no concern in her voice. To that I relaxed as I sat in my car. 

My eyes opened as I felt the urge to drink water. It was dehydration from the alcohol last night. I must admit that alcohol is fun but I hate the hangover like hell. I rubbed my eyes and went straight to the kitchen to fetch water. It was seven in the morning and I could feel the cool breeze from the ventilator. "You're up?"

"You're here?"

"You fainted as soon as you entered your home. I thought it would be a good idea if I could just be here in case of emergency" she said. She was not naïve after all. "And don't worry. Uncle has been notified. You should take a shower for your hangover, I say." I saw her hiding her laugh behind her palm. It lightened my mood.