Chapter 3

She stood there like a goddess, on the portico, as if commanding the winds and wave to blow favorably in order to charm the passer-by by her blowing hair. And as if sunlight was just right to reflect back the shine of her hair but doesn't burn her skin as she wore the most elegant white sundress. The gush of waves helped my mood to come at ease. And at the sight of her, my mother would have yelled in native tongue- priyadarshini (beautiful to behold). 

She saw me coming and waved at me which was a surprise for me as we hadn't met. For a moment, I was simply cherishing the sight of her and forgot to ask myself much important question. Like who was she or what is the relation between this girl and Xavier.  Xavier was fifty eight but this girl seemed to me a young adult. But as she had already waved me, it meant, though, I was open to find out myself. I double knocked and entered the house. The door was not locked and as I entered I saw Xavier stood facing the door with his hand behind his back. He was definitely waiting there for a while. His face was blank as usual. But now, inside the house, what I saw was another surprise for me. 

The canopy house held a reindeer trophy on the threshold of the doorway. Most of the light penetrated through the big window made of emerald tainted Belgium glass which reflected the light spectrum as it hit the massive chandelier placed beautifully in the center of lobby cum dining hall. There was a piano set right in the middle of the lobby, beside the chair and under the chandelier. I must admit, Xavier looked like a perfect gentleman that day. More perfect than he looked everyday. I noticed that there was a staircase right in the northern corner of the lobby in a spiral fashion. And Xavier, with his subtle smirk pointed me to that staircase. It was an invite.

I won't say that I felt weird at that moment. There was a lot going on in my head at that moment. This canopy house was way more luxurious than any villa in the locality. I climbed up the staircase and I was welcomed by a perfect imitation of The Thinker. The first floor was a big hall illuminated by various imitations of rare artefacts. On the wall, there hung some of the most elegant paintings of the eighteenth century. Some of them seemed to be authentic works. Seriously! What profession was Xavier enrolled into! The hall had plain white paint on the three sides while other wall had a large glass door exit to the portico. And I saw her observing me with curiosity.

She set her hair that were disturbing her face. And in that process, I saw her looking down as if being shy. I really felt a kick out of it. As Xavier exited to the portico, and I stood in the hall, I saw her whispering something into his ears. Gosh! I totally forgot! I was still in my jumpsuit. I felt foolish after realizing that my outfit might disturb their minor event. I could see there was a table decorated with some snacks , a russian salad, guacamole, muffins, english tea and a big illustrated chocolate cake. 

"Your presence will truly keep Ana entertained." Xavier said. " Don't you worry ! She won't mind your outfit. Come, dine with us." 

"Ya sure!" I said with a full smile. I was happy for sure but moreover mesmerized by the beauty of this girl. Her fair complexion radiated  sunlight. And I might be correct in my analogy- she did look like a goddess. 

"Ms. Anatola, you might be pleased to meet my friend Sandip..." while Xavier was busy introducing me, I was busy observing her face which at that moment was like a nectar to a bumblebee. "Am I right Sandip?" 

"Uhh! yep." I replied bare any clue about the context of the question. 

" Truly as I affirm, Sandip is an avid poetic soul." and for the first time I heard what the background noise was all about. But now, both of them sat still while their eyes were intact on me. And all I could make out was that a recitation was expected of me. 

"If you can, please, recite some verse." said that sweet voice which till now was mute. I was astounded by her. 

" Of course. So here it goes -" I tried to remember some poetry just write for the moment. " A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:

Its loveliness increases; it will never

Pass into nothingness; but still will keep

A bower quiet for us, and a sleep

Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.  " 

As I progressed the recitation, I made notice of every word. The very words were provided ensemble by the waves of the sea. Acquainted by a melody of the peacock squawk in the distance. How easily, smoothly my eyes fell on her. And for the first time, I noticed her dimple on the cheek, produced as a result of smile she gave in praise of the recitation. And how easily her smile drew away from myself. As if I can spot my belated love in her smile. Like a Banjara discovered a pool of water. 

(I cannot love you!)

I had never felt such a gush of emotions. After a pause, when it lost the effect. "I knew your company would be just right for Ana. Hence, I brought Nero d'Avola to add to the moment." Xavier placed the wine on the table. I had never seen such a piece of liquor in my  life. " A fine beverage made in Sicily with the finest grapes. " I took a sip from the wine glass and a premium tangy and subtly peppery taste could be felt. Might cost a month's salary for me  I whispered.

 And this was followed by a bunch of interesting conversations. I never had so many mood swings in a day as I had by talking with this girl Ana. During the conversation I came to know it was her birthday. And also, that she was just twenty and was the orphaned niece of Xavier. She used to shut one of her eyes when she spoke lie. She might not be his daughter but the fine manner of speaking, she inherited from Xavier.  Her fine upbringing and interest made me amused by the effort Xavier would have put into her. 

It was eight o' clock already, and it was in my interest to retire to home now. But I was persuaded by Xavier to stay there for the night. It was a kind invitation. An invitation I had to accept. But also the wine had its effect on me. I was guided by Xavier to my room. We ran down the lobby, through a corridor on east of the staircase. I saw a library in the way. It was quite massive. All the books were sorted by genres. The room was situated at the dead end of the corridor. The corridor had yet another two rooms which I thought were meant for them two. 

The room had a small book section of its own. "I have placed poems and eroticas as they might interest you." Xavier said as he left me to the guest room. It never felt I came there unannounced. But this thought never crossed my mind at that moment.