Ch. 21

Ch. 21

Buddy's POV

I dropped Eric off back at school, fortunately it was pretty cleared out so late in the day so I was able to sneak him a goodbye kiss before he hopped out of the car.

"See you tomorrow." Eric says and then slams the door. I honked my horn a few times playfully, he responded back by blowing kisses at me. I felt so stupidly happy.

A lot happened today. But Eric, Eric is real, he's here and I can see myself being with him for a long time.

God, it's only the first day of our relationship and I already feel such a deep connection to him.

I drove home after watching Eric unlock his car and get in, I wanted to make sure he was all set before I left him here. I wish Mom met him today, she's heard so much about him that I want them to actually meet.

Of course, as soon as I arrived in the driveway, the garage was open and there was her car. Man, she just missed him. Just my luck.

I parked and walked inside through the garage that she left open for me and closed it as I walked into the house. I found Mom in the kitchen prepping dinner.

"Hey, Mom." I said setting my keys down on the counter.

She glances back to smile, "Hi sweetie, how was your day?" She said going back to stirring whatever was in the pot, it looked like pasta.

"Gooood." I said thinking about Eric and our day- not to mention us making out like less than an hour ago. She peers over shoulder, "What was that tone for?" Her interest peaking as I was acting vague on purpose.

"Oh, you know..." I said teasing her. She turns around now, resting against the counter, "No... I don't know. What's up?" she folds her arms curious at what's on my mind.

"You remember that guy... Eric?.." I purposely am dragging it on, it's more fun to spill the news with a build up like this.

Her eyes widened, "Yeah?" She asks carefully.

"Well, he's my boyfriend." I said looking at the ceiling and pursing my lips.

Mom gasps loudly and grabs her face surprised. "Buddy! Oh my goodness!" She scooped me in for a big hug and was jumping up and down excitedly, "Oh! I'm so happy for you! So that was a date a few days ago." She said squinting at me.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, it was." I smiled.

She smiled back and turned back to her cooking. "Grab a wine glass, you can have some White with me." Mom never offers me a glass of wine.

"Really?" I ask sounding more surprised than I hoped.

"Yeah! We gotta celebrate, plus you're 18 in a few months, you can drink with me then too."

"Okay." I said and walked to the pantry for a wine glass. I know Dad wouldn't approve of this. He first of all doesn't know how to handle me being gay in the first place, but to celebrate by letting me have alcohol over getting a boyfriend? He'd have a heart attack.

"Hey, how's Dad's business trip?" Thinking about dad made me wonder when he's coming back, I know he's planning on coming home this week but I wasn't sure when, I want to tell him about Eric too.

Mom stiffened at the question, "Um. It's good! Yeah-good. Ahem."

That was weird. "Everything okay?" I looked at her with an empty wine glass in my hand. She turned around, her eyes glossy and she clears her throat again, "Honey, sit down." She motioned to the table.

"Okay..." I said carefully, confused on what's happening. I set the glass on the table and sit.

"It's about your dad." She sat down in the chair closest to me.

"Wh-what? Is he okay?" My mind was racing to 'he's hurt', 'he's dead', 'he lost at sea'-

"Yes, your father's fine. Um- but-" She sighs and closes her eyes, "we're getting a divorce." A sad smile creeped on her face, I think she was trying not to cry- it didn't work, a single tear fell down her cheek.

I want to say I'm surprised but I'm not. Dad's never home, if he is he's doing work in his study alone, Mom never brings him up, she has a glass of wine nearly every night when Dad would scold her for it. Which is why he would also not approve of me drinking either.

"Oh." Was all I managed to say. "So, he's not coming home this week huh?" I asked piecing together that he probably never even left Point Place for a "business trip".

Mom giggles, "No, no he's not."

"Is he already moved out?"

She nods a few times, "We were waiting for the paper work to be complete to tell you. We wanted to tell you together." Her voice started to crack and the tears fell harder. "It got completed today." She starts sobbing now.

"Oh, Mom." I said standing up to hold her, she clutched my jacket and sobbed into my chest.

I'm surprised they didn't tell me sooner. Why wait?

Mom never cries in front of me, this is heartbreaking. I want to keep asking her questions but I decided to let her cry it out.

I wonder if Eric's night is as eventful as mine.