Forgotten Secrets

Their journey to the town was cut short. Ray heard loud footsteps not too far behind, and he left most of Kai's weight on Nya for support. He watched as Ed chased after the three and blocked them, nearly tripping on his own boots. Finally catching his breath, he cast an intent frown at the Smith siblings.

          "By golly, are you two lucky children!" he chided, marching right up to them and leveling their eyes. "Did you not see it was a Wolfwalker?"

          "Now calm down, Ed—" Ray began.

          "Everyone knows you can't be cutting down their woods!" he said, his voice firm. He pointed at Ray and continued his chattering. "If you do, they'll get ya! So that's the deal!"

          "There's no deal with anyone," Ray overlapped. Nya remained speechless while Kai tried his best to latch on to each word.

          "Oh, for the sake of the heavens, The First Spinjitzu Master has created these lands for us to inhabit peacefully, yet here you are, slicing the trees clean of their stumps!" Ed muttered a curse under his breath and stomped his foot dramatically.

          "Listen here, Ed, it's necessary we clear the woods," Ray reasoned.

          "But did you not see?" the farmer spat.

          "Actually, I did see the wolf attack," he answered patiently.

          "The way them wolves answer his calls," Ed went on, completely ignoring his explanations. He waved his hands around his ears, and Ray sighed. "The forest is ridden with wolves, I tell you!"

          Kai noticed Nya looking a little bit nervous when she peeked into the trees, so he gently touched her shoulder, sending her a brotherly smile. It calmed her a little, but she was still somewhat anxious about the whole situation.

          "Well, it won't be long before the wolves are gone," Ray countered.

          "It won't be long before they're inside the town walls!" Behind Ed, Kai saw an army of soldiers marching on the front fields of the stronghold grounds. He pulled his hood over his head and shielded his eyes, skin pricking with dread.

          "No! No, we'll tame these lands," his father assured. "The Lord Protectors ordered it."

          "Oh, the great Lord Protectors," Ed mocked in a sardonic tone, raising his arms in a taunting gesture, "renowned for being true to their word! Ha! Hilarious. At least the old King kept us safe."

          Two grand shadows were cast upon the smooth ground. Both horses' heavy hooves left steep prints in the dirt. Their sleek, black pelts were perfectly groomed and shiny, slabs of armor shielding their massive bodies and narrow heads.

          Ed leaned in and partially covered his mouth, whispering, "They're just fools, I tell ya." Nya tried her hardest to refrain from warning him or yelping in fright. She looked like she was about to do both. Her heart sunk as he resumed his string of insults.

          "Lord Protector," he jeered. "Lord Protector."

          "Mr. Ed—"

          "PROTECTOR OF WHAT?!" he fumed.

          "OI!" someone shouted angrily.

          "Get over 'ere!"

          He was roughly shoved into the arms of a muscular soldier, who squeezed his shoulders painfully. He held him as another secured a cuff around his throat, followed by thick chains that were difficult to break. Edna, who had followed him and was placing sheep in a cart, screamed with terror and tightened her grip on the padlock.