Harsh Sacrifices

Kai and Ember raced towards the bedraggled town, noting the increasing number of soldiers stationed at their outposts. The two of them hid behind stacks of hay and dirt mounds as they strained their ears to listen over passing conversations. Ugly chortles rang across the open fields and filled the young adventurer with uneasy callousness.

          "...You hag, move your rear!" Round and monstrous, sweat rolled off the forehead of a snarling sergeant. He fisted his meaty hands, forcing the peasants into submission as they quivered at the thought of having themselves punished.

          "You heard the man, get a move on!" spat his acquaintance. His jaw cracked as aggression built in his fierce eyes. Steam could have literally escaped from his nostrils when a lady—old and frail—attempted to place a hand on his shoulder. Her gesture was very kind to the normal eye, but she was desperate. Before the soldiers made any sudden movements to turn her away, she latched onto them and clawed at their armor.

          "Please, sires, please!" begged the woman, her voice nearly reaching a wailing tone. "Spare us folk some grace, mercy, for we need it to help our young—!"

          "OFF! OFF NOW, YOU LEECH!" roared the sergeant, striking a blow at the poor woman. A disturbing thud cleared the quiet chatters among the lined crowd. Her matted garments were soiled with dirt while others slowly aided her to her feet, most stricken with fear, others raging in silence.

          Kai held his breath while he watched the scene unfold, sharing Ember's startled gaze.

          "What in Ninjago's name...?" he bit, clenching his sore fists. "What's going on? How come there's a crowd?" His crimson dragon replied with a click of her beak and a brief shake of her wings. She directed her snout towards wooden crates parked on the sandy pathway, large enough to cramp at least five to seven people inside.

          "We'd, uh... better get in before anyone notices us, yeah?" he suggested. He ran off to hide behind hay carts when Ember perched comfortably on his shoulder. He cringed at the loud noises of leaves crunching beneath his mottled boots, but luckily no one seemed to have noticed.

          Ember leapt into the hay bale and latched onto Kai's hood as he pulled himself over the edge. His skin pricked at the straws poking at him all over, but he did his very best not to alert any soldiers near the gates, including the envoy at the front of the ride.

          Thrashing her tail about beneath the hay, the crimson dragonet rumbled the beginnings of a fierce growl as her gaze latched on the town's guards.

          "Yeah, I get it, Ember. I get it," Kai murmured. Then he gently nudged her side. "Wanna set something ablaze to distract 'em?"

          There was definitely a brief twinkle of mischief in her eyes, especially when her ears twitched at the thunderous noises of nearby Earth Dragons' pounding and roaring.

          However, before she could take that option into consideration, the cart made a sudden jolt that nearly flipped the wooden cart on its side. The haystacks smashed into the two, completely knocking the wind out of them.

          "What the hell was that?!" Kai coughed, making sure no one had heard him. Though, he didn't have much to worry about, since the commotion at the front gathered almost everyone's attention.

          Ember squawked in surprise as she darted out of the straw piles, struggling to catch the wind beneath her wings.

          "EMBER, STOP! GET BACK HERE!" he yowled, making chase. He tried to grab her in time, but she swerved from his fingers and hid in a cramped space.