Mutual Greetings

The sounds of light footsteps bounced across the empty cavern walls. The soft slaps of bare feet hitting the ground grew louder every second, filling Kai's mind with unease. Taking several deep breaths and gathering himself, he shoved his nervousness aside and propped himself on his ankles. He snuck a quick glance over the boulder's edge, lungs burning from holding his breath, but he easily found that there was no use. Whoever that boy was, he could detect him from a mile away.

          "I know you're behind that giant rock," the stranger called, his intoned voice heavy and somewhat exasperated. He ran his fingers through his tangled hair and rolled his eyes. "I mean, come on. Have you even taken a whiff of yourself? You reek!"

          Despite knowing absolutely nothing about whoever that person was, Kai's face reddened in embarrassment, and he could've sword he'd seen smoke billowing out of his ears from his peripheral vision. It definitely wasn't the first thing you would hear from a stranger. However, he secretly pulled his arm up and sniffed, and boy, was that guy right. Scrunching his face in disgust, he made a note to take a shower as soon as he got home.

          A choir of fierce growls broke the silence and startled him awake. He spun around to see the same pack of wolves slowly converge on him and Ember, snapping and growling in, what seemed to be, mocked delight.

          "Hey, c'mon out of your hiding area, why don'tcha?" he suggested, his tone dripping with heavy sarcasm. "Where are your manners? Show some respect and meet me out here in the open!" He ended with a succinct chuckle, but he cleared his throat when the atmosphere grew thick.

          Ember bounded on her talons and ushered him forward. Kai demanded her to stay quiet, desperation clear in his silencing gestures. He shook his head wildly, but his dragon never ceased to reveal his location.

          "I know you followed me here the whole time," he resumed, and Kai could practically see him shoot a sardonic glance. "C'mon out. I won't bite you."

          Deciding not to speak up just yet, Kai rolled his eyes as he remembered when the boy, as a wolf, had actually bitten him. And while he was on that thought, his wounds were gone. He couldn't even make out any scars of the bite—

          A group of wolves suddenly turned round the side of the boulder and snarled at him, eyes still shining as bright as glowing lanterns. He could feel their warm breath on his already sweaty face, and he dashed for the other side, only to meet the other half awaiting him.

          Kai yelped as one canine bit into his hood and dragged him up front. He clawed at it and tried to pry it away, but it dropped him right below the boy's feet, leaving his skin dirtier than it had been before.

           He raised a finger before anyone could speak—or bark. Letting out a defeated sigh, he muttered, "Okay, okay. So, I'm here. In your cave or something. But whatever you do, I'd really appreciate it if you don't kill me—"

          "My den, my rules," he overlapped, crossing his arms. "I'll do what I like! Now could you actually listen to me and come here? Let me take a good look at you..."

          He grabbed Kai's arm and sniffed him around, only to pull away in surprise when he reared back, lurid anger apparent in his eyes.

          "What's your problem? Stop that!" he yelled. His frustration only grew when the boy shrugged.

          "So what? It's what I do," he replied nonchalantly.

          "Every time you meet someone?" Kai asked warily. "Seriously?"