Chapter 1

"Happy birthday!" Pencils mom smiles holding out a small yellow box with pink ribbon.

"Thanks mom." Pencil says dryly, taking the present from her hands. Pencil already knows what it's going to be, and she's less than thrilled about it.

Pencil carefully took off the ribbon and paper and opened the box. The box had a pen set neatly in the center, filling up less than half of the box. It was quite sad actually.

"Go on!!" Pencils mom said excitedly "Contact your soulmate!!"

Reluctantly, pencil pulled the pen out of the box and took off the cap. "What do I even write?" She asked, looking down at her arm. After staring at her arm for way too long for it to look normal, she finally rolled up her orange sweater and wrote a simple hi in her naturally messy handwriting across her forearm. She waited for a while, and when nothing happened, she rolled her sleeve back up, said goodnight to her mom, and slowly walked up the stairs to her room.

The entire walk to her room she expected to feel a tingle in her arm when her soulmate wrote back, but, even as she opened the bright yellow door to her room and flopped down on her bed face first, no one had responded.

Pencil wouldn't say this out loud, but she didn't really like the idea of soulmates. Sure, for some they get married and are happy for the rest of eternity. But there's so many things that could go wrong too. Like for example, a girl named flower, one of the more popular kids at pencil's school, never got the chance to meet her soulmate because they died in a tragic car accident when they were really young. Something else that happens sorta often, is people will fall in love someone else other than their soulmate, meaning, their soulmate needs to find someone else instead.

But most of this distaste towards soulmates is solely because pencil had a crush on her best friend, match, and she's terrified match will finally turn 18, meet her soulmate, and leave.

But there's not much she could do right now, unless she'd be willing to kill match's soulmate. But I mean, it's not completely off the table yet.

Pencil groaned, rolling over on her back to stare at the ceiling. "Life is annoying." She mumbled to herself, taking a pillow and throwing it across the room for no particular reason at all.

"Pencil!!" Her mom yelled from downstairs "Go to sleep!! You can be sad in the morning!"

"But I wanna be sad now!!"

"Pencil don't make me knock you out with a frying pan."

"Okay going to sleep!!" Pencil said a bit too quickly, jumping out of bed and changing into pyjamas, before flopping down on the bed once again.

Even though pencil was usually in bed by 10, she probably got the least amount of sleep out of her entire class. Last year, her class decided they should play "most likely to" during lunch, and it got interesting. She doesn't really remember much, other than her class all agreeing she'd be the most likely to die of sleep deprivation. It wasn't her favourite memory of all time, but whatever.

Pencil turned sideways and pulled the covers to her shoulders.

Then she turned the other way.

Then she laid on her back.

Then she got mad at her brain for not making her fall asleep.

Then she said frick it and turned on her phone and opened YouTube

—————————————

Pencil had just put her phone down and was slowly drifting off into sleep when her alarm clock decided to be funny and ring way louder than necessary.

"Pencil get up or you'll be late for school!!" Pencils mom yelled over the sound of sizzling bacon.

Not wanting to be lectured by her teacher and mom, she got up and used concealer to cover the bags under her eyes before getting changed. She never wore anything too fancy, ripped jeans with a black belt, a turtleneck and a silver headband keeping her brown hair from flying in her face.

As pencil walked down the stairs, she absently fiddled with the pink tips of her hair. Her dad didn't like her decision to dye the tips of her hair pink, but pencil honestly couldn't care less.

As she made her way into the kitchen pencil smiled when she saw pancakes on the table.

"Morning sweetie!" Her mom said, not turning around from her frying pan. "You should eat quick, school starts soon!"

"Kay, thanks for breakfast mom!" Pencil said taking a seat at the table before quickly eating breakfast, grabbing her backpack, and running out of the house, and being greeted by a smiling match.

"Happy birthday pence-pence!!" Match yelled hugging pencil, and before pencil could even react, match was holding out a blue box with white ribbon. "Happy birthday!!" She looked at the box and her smiled faded ever so slightly. "I would've been at your house, but there's that annoying tradition where you need to like, celebrate your 18th birthday alone with your family so you can talk to your soulmate or whatever."

"Oh it's fine don't worry about it!" Pencil said quickly, desperate not to make match feel bad.

"Anyways!!" Match said smiling even more than before, "take my gift!!" She yelled, making it sound like a threat.

Pencil laughed taking the gift from her and opening the box. Inside were multiple sweaters of different colours. Pencils face lit up. "Thank you so much!!" She said smiling earning a "no problem!" From match.

When she finally got the the last sweater in the box, she immediately put it on. "I'm wearing this to school today."

Match giggled. "I had a feeling you would say that!" Pencil smiled as she looked down at the big lesbian flag on the front. "We should probably get going though, school starts soon!"

"Your probably right," pencil said stuffing the other sweatshirt in her book bag as she started walking towards the school.

"Oh! I forgot to ask!" Match said following pencil on the sidewalk "did you talk with your soulmate?" Match asked excitedly.

Pencil looked at the ground. This had been the conversation she wanted to avoid, but she would never lie to match so, "well actually—" she was cut off by match's brother joining them, yelling.

"Pencil! Pencil! Pencil! Guess what?" Eraser said rather excitedly, given he's never really hyped about anything. "My soulmate is moving schools! He's coming here!!"

"Oh that's nice." Pencil said only really half paying attention.

"Yeah! Pen's super cool!"

Pencil stopped in her tracks. "Wait PEN??"

Eraser looked around confused. "Yeah?"

"Your dating my COUSIN???"

"Yes?" He tilted his head in confusion, but then it was gone in an instant when he noticed what she was wearing "Oh and I like your sweater by the way pencil." And with that he walked away.

Match giggled "I thought you knew that pencil!" She nudged pencils arm jokingly, but the touch made pencil blush slightly.

Pencil checked her phone to hide her slightly red cheeks. "Looks like school starts soon, we might need to run there."

Match smiled brightly messing with her bun and pencils heart skipped a beat. "Race ya!"