Chapter 2

tw: abuse

Meredith awoke with a loud crashing sound down the hall. She jumped out of bed, immediately regretting is as she clutched her swollen abdomen. She paused before opening the door and heard a man screaming outside.

"Where the hell is it?" she heard coming from outside. It was Derek, he was looking for alcohol. Normally, she would've gone outside to stop him, but in this very moment, she was scared of him. She was scared that he would hurt her, even though he had never done any such thing.

This happened often, Derek scouring the house for any type of alcohol. Meredith had taken notice, and hidden the liquor while he was at work. She prayed the kids were still asleep as she crawled back into bed.

As she was slowly starting to drift off, the door to the master bedroom swung open with a bang.
"Where the hell did you put it?" Derek demanded, walking up to her slowly, with murder in his eyes.

Meredith was terrified. She slowly backed away from him with her hands in front of her.
"I-I-" she started, unable to form a word.

"Damn it Meredith!" He screamed at her, banging his fist at the wall, making dry wall power flutter around.

A door down the hall creaked open, and a tall, dark haired boy with piercing blue eyes, stepped in front of the doorframe.

"Duncan?" Meredith said as she looked at her son standing before them.

"Back off Dad," Duncan said, his fists balled up.

"Go to your room Duncan, you don't need to get involved in this," Derek told his younger look alike as he went to shut the door to keep him out.

Duncan placed a hand on the door, preventing it from closing. "I'm not going anywhere," he told his dad, glaring angrily at him. The teenager ran to his mother and grasped her hand in his.

"Are you alright?" He asked his mother, taking in her fear. Meredith nodded slowly and focused her gaze back on her husband.

"Pathetic. You need a teenager to come save you," Derek spat, running a frustrated hand through his hair. "I wish I could say I was surprised. You never were able to do anything for yourself, you're helpless," he said, grabbing a suitcase from under the bed.

Meredith looked at her husband in awe. She couldn't believe he would say such a thing to her. There was a time where Derek would treat her like royalty instead of an object. She envied those times when Derek was the love of her life. Was.

Derek threw his clothing into the suitcase as Meredith and Duncan watched him a few feet away. The angry man zipped it up and threw it in the hall as he turned back to his son and wife.

"Where is Hale and Amelia? I'm not leaving without my children." Derek asked his cowering wife.

"Y-you can't take them, they're my babies," Meredith said, her voice breaking with each word. Duncan looked at his father. He was an alcoholic, but he wasn't abusive. At least, not until now he wasn't.

"You can't raise a newborn without me. You're 34 weeks pregnant, and incapable of doing anything for yourself. What are you going to do without me?" Derek asked, finally sitting down on the bed.

"Duncan. H-he will help me?" Meredith said looking at her eldest child for confirmation. Duncan nodded his head, hoping that was enough for his father to take the hint and leave.

"Duncan is fifteen. He can't do shit for you, and you damn well know that," the man said, grabbing his gun belt from the coffee table and sliding it on his waist, which made Meredith jump out of her skin. "You really think I would shoot you?" Derek asked her, rolling his eyes. "I'm not an idiot, I could go to jail for that."

Derek stood up and walked over to his other children's rooms. Unlike he was to Meredith, he was an amazing father to his kids. Derek rapped lightly on the door to his son Hale's room and cracked it open. Hale was sitting on his bed, bundled up in his blankets.

"What're you doing up bud?" Derek said gently as he walked over and sat on the corner of the boy's bed. Hale was more like Meredith, looks wise. He had honey colored hair, with green-blue eyes and Merediths common facial features. He only possessed Derek's chin and ears.

"I heard yelling. Is everything okay daddy?" Hale asked his father, clutching a small stuffed tiger in his hands. Hale was second born, at 7 years old.

"Yeah, yeah everything is alright bud," Derek reassured his son. "How about a road trip?"

Hale looked at his father, then at his digital alarm clock on his nightstand. "Daddy its four in the morning," the boy said, confused.

Derek thought for a moment about how to convince his son to leave with him. "Well, we have to leave bright and early if we want to get waffles," the man said, knowing his son's favorite food.

Hale's eyes lit up and a huge smile appeared on his face. "Waffles?"

"Only if we leave now. How about you get your stuff together and I'll go get your sister?" Derek suggested. Hale nodded eagerly and jumped out of bed to find his bag reserved for road trips. "Uh, hey buddy I think you may need a bag a little bigger than that," Derek said with a small laugh.

"How long are we going for?" Hale stopped packing.

"I'm not sure, but it's always better to be prepared right?" Derek said as he started to walk out of the room to his daughters room.

Derek cracked the door open to see his daughter sleeping soundly.

"Amy, sweetie, it's time to wake up," he said, slowly pulling the covers back. He saw the lights flick on, and he whirled around to the front of the room to see Meredith standing there, arms crossed, with Hale by her side and Duncan a few feet behind.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" Meredith asked her husband. Derek walked towards her until he was just a few inches away. He bent down a little bit to whisper into her ear.

"I'm leaving. And I'm taking my children with me. If you try to stop me, I will shoot you, and I will enjoy it. Do you understand?" Derek whispered and pulled away, wearing a smug grin.

Merediths eyes widened. "Y-you wouldn't do that. You c— you can't do that!" She cried as she held Hale close to her.

"Watch me," Derek replied, pushing her forcefully backwards. Meredith cried out as Duncan rushed up behind her to try to catch her, barely being able to support her up. Derek picked up Amelia and took Hale by the hand, and guided them to the Porsche. He buckled them in and threw the suitcases in the back as he climbed in the drivers seat.

Just as Derek started to drive out of the driveway, Duncan ran outside and in front of the car so Derek couldn't move. "Derek Shepherd, I swear to god if you leave right now and take my siblings with you, I will call the police and have you arrested for kidnapping and assault." The boy said, using his fathers full name.

Derek opened the car door and stepped out, looking at his son. "What did you just say to me?" He demanded.

"I- I said I will call the p-police if— if you take them," Duncan said, his voice shaking uncontrollably.

Derek walked up to Duncan and firmly grasped his arm. "You listen here boy and you listen well," Derek started, "I work for the FBI. Calling the police will do absolutely nothing. Nothing. So either you will let me drive, or I will throw you aside and hurt your mother. Do you want that? Is that what you would like me to do?" Derek asked his son through his teeth.

Duncan stepped aside and Derek slid back into the car and drove off with his children, leaving behind his son and wife.