Chapter 4

Derek slumped down on the couch in front of a rom-com and started scrolling through Instagram. He was still following Meredith, so he clicked on her profile. Derek looked through her posts of the two of them sharing moments and the countless pictures of their family. There was a ring circling her profile picture, indicating there was something added to her story.

The story showed Meredith and Duncan at the airport with suitcases, captioned "here's to new beginnings." What was that supposed to mean? Were they leaving? Just because he had left her, doesn't mean she was allowed to do the same for him. Derek pulled up his Life360 app to track their location. Luckily for him, Meredith had forgotten to turn it off so he could see where she was.

Boston. Wait, Boston? Why would they be in Boston? Derek glanced at Amelia and Hale playing in the open room next to him and sighed. He couldn't leave them, but he also couldn't just bring them all over the country either. There was that, and there was also the fact that his wife and son were in a different state without mentioning a word to him.

Derek debated calling Meredith or not. In the end, she was his wife. He loved her, even if he was too cowardly to admit it to himself. It was three rings before he went to voicemail.

"Mer.. please call me back. I'm sorry about what I said and what I did even if-" Derek sighed. "Anyways, please call me back. I'm worried," Derek ended the call and put his phone down on the couch. 

It was just after 3:00 in the morning when his phone rang once then ended. Derek picked up his phone to see a missed call from Meredith, but there was no voicemail. He dialed her back, then placed the phone to his ear. This time it didn't even ring, instead going directly to voicemail. Derek didn't leave a message this time.

He was curious as to why it only rang one time. She probably accidentally clicked his contact then hung up right away. He called her again. Straight to voicemail. He tried sending her a text asking if she was okay. The message failed to deliver. Either she had terrible cell service, or she just blocked him. Derek went to her Instagram account again. An error message popped up saying "user not found." He was blocked. 

He was still able to see how many posts she had, and what was once over 100, was now 5. She was acting pathetic as if they were in high school. Not as if they were well passed 30 with almost four kids. Derek decided enough was enough and he called a neighbor to watch the kids. He was surprised that they answered at 3:00 in the morning, but he dropped them off nonetheless. 

Derek grabbed a duffle bag and stuffed it with clothes and toiletries. He ran to his Porsche and whipped the door open and turned it on.

"Shit." He was out of gas. He quickly called an uber and waited outside for it. 

"Where to?" The driver asked Derek as he threw his bag in the back and climbed in. 

"The airport please," he replied and took out his phone again. He found Duncan's contact and sent him a quick text that said: 

"I'm coming to Boston to see you and Mom. Don't tell her I'm coming, I'm sorry. Love you."

Derek checked the status of his plane ticket that was supposed to leave at 4:00 am. It was just past 3:30. 

The uber screeched to a halt and Derek hopped out, throwing $30 at the driver and running to the gate which would be leaving soon. 

"Sir please step aside, the metal detector has detected something on you," the airport security guard said to him.

"Oh shit! Sorry I'm with the FBI, that's my gun," Derek said opening his ID card and showing the officer. 

"Sir you can't take that on board. We will have someone come by to pick it up and keep it somewhere for you," the officer replied.

"Ah! Just forget it," Derek said as he threw the gun in the trash and ran to the closing airplane doors. The officer didn't follow him. He quickly found his seat next to a middle aged man and sat down. 

Little did he know, he should've waited for the gun.

________________________________________________________________________________

sorry for the super short chapter and not having updated since may, I've had no motivation and had a little creativity block, but this is what I was able to get out, and I'll try my best to write more! thanks for understanding.

also, let me know what you think!