ants ants ants

Chapter 64

Peter's Pov:

"Peter?" Bucky grunts as he stalks into the kitchen, Crocs squeaking a bit.

I'm sitting at the island finishing up an paper, sipping highly caffeinated tea.

"Hey Bucky." I nod, not taking my hands off the keyboard.

Bucky starts taking things out of the fridge and cupboards as I furiously type.

"Did you know that birds don't pee?" I ask while reading over my now finished paper.

"Don't tell me that's what your essay is on."

I smile, "No, my paper is about oranges."

Bucky shakes his head and mumbles "What has school become?" under his breath as he cracks an egg between his fingers, he looks to me, "Did you know ants outnumber humans by a million to one?"

"I did know that actually!! It's really interesting, at first you're like wow, that's a LOT of ants - like how is that even possible! There's an estimated quadrillion ants on Earth, which is a huge amount of ants. Imagine if they all stood side by side. It's almost hard to believe, but when you stop and think about it, you think about it, it makes sense. There are over 14000 species of ants. And once you think about the supercolonies... like before 2000, the largest supercolony was estimated to have 306 million worker ants. But then the supercolony in Southern Europe was found, which is estimated to have billions of worker ants! So imagine all the other supercolonies out there that haven't been discovered yet. It's fascinating, really! A-" I stop, suddenly realizing that was unnecessary information.

Bucky just stares at me.

I mentally sigh, I should have just kept my mouth shut. Bucky probably doesn't care that much about ants.

"You sure you're not Antman?" Bucky laughs and I sigh in relief.

See Peter, nothing to worry about. You're fine.

"Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm Spiderman!" I grin.

Bucky smiles, "You should talk to Scott, I'm sure he'd be happy to have someone to share ant knowledge with. I'd be scared to see how much you know about spiders."

"I'd be happy to share some facts with you!" I brighten at the idea.

"I think it's a little early for more facts, Peter."

"It's only," I check the time, "3 am!"

"Yeah, and you have school today."

"Yes, and?" I take a large sip of tea.

Bucky shrugs.

He continues to work on his... food mixture and I fill out some worksheets.

"Oh!" I shout, feeling the light bulb appear above my head.

Bucky tensely whips his head towards me and relaxes when he sees I'm okay.

"Bucky can you sign my form? It's for the decathlon team I was telling everyone about at dinner a few nights ago.

After placing his bowl down, Bucky comes over and squints at the permission slip for the team.

"Why do you need a signature?" he asks wearily.

I shrug, "Mr Harrington is the supervisor."

Bucky nods, seemingly convinced, and signs the paper.

We continue to talk as I finish the last of my assignments and Bucky makes pancakes.

We eat the pancakes.

"You should sleep."

"Sleep?"

"Yes. I'll wake you if you sleep too long. You can even sleep in one of my dog beds if you want."

"Okay.. What are you going to do?"

He shrugs, but I see a hidden smirk.

"Okay, see you in a hour I guess."

I decide to take up Bucky's offer and head to one of the beds in the common room.

I grab a fluffy hello kitty blanket from a couch and lay down.

I sleep.

I wake up to shouting.

"WHO IS LEAF BLOWING AT FOUR IN THE MORNING!?"

"SHUT UP TONY!"

"YOU SHUT UP RHODEY!"

I realize there isn't much hope of going back to sleep so I get up.

"STOP LEAF BLOWING, WHO EVER YOU ARE!"

"TONY I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!"

"wOULd yOU TWO SHUT UP"

It's quiet for a bit, I stay frozen, waiting for the screaming to start again but it doesn't so I head for the kitchen.

I see Steve and Sam in the kitchen. Bucky is no where to be found.

"Morning son." Steve waves from the island.

"Hey Peter, joining us?" Sam asks before downing a carton of Orange Juice.

"What time is it?" I wipe the sleep away from my eyes.

"4:37 AM" FRIDAY replies.

"Awesome!" I smile, I got a solid half hour of sleep and I am ready to rock this day.

"Is that a, yes?" Steve asks wearily.

"Yes! Have either of you seen Bucky?" I ask, taking a chug from my sticker covered Nalgene water bottle.

"Nope" Sam smiles smugly.

"No..Is everything alright?" Steve frowns.

"UUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. TURN THE LEAF BLOWER OFF PLEASE!"

I have my second lightbulb of the day.

I head to the window and look outside.

"I knew it." I whisper and wave.