I. When 103 became just 3.

Guess who's back, back again... Kayleigh's back, tell a friend.

What's going on fellow Wattpadders, I'm back with a second book (Obviously, I have no idea why I felt the need to state that again,) and hopefully this book will be better than Troublesome...

But I'm pretty sure you'd rather read than hear about moi, so please, do continue, I'll just be sat over here, quietly awaiting your judgment (That's a lie, I usually publish these when I go to bed, so I'll wake up to your judgment ¬_¬)

But in case you are wondering about moi, here is what's currently on her mind: Apparently, if you call your book something in a different language, Wattpad thinks you speak fluent in said language and throws a bunch of foreign books at you. Who would have thought?

Bold= Swedish.

C H A P T E R    I 

"Cover your mouth."

"What? Why?"

"Because if you decide to scream, we don't want the whole forest to hear, capiche?" Carter explained, helping Steven sit down against the tree.

"How reassuring." The boy slurred sarcastically and Carter rolled her eyes.

The three of them and the horse — much to Carter's disdain — had been travelling for the entire day, only making appropriate stops to adjust Steven when he passed out on the horse. The distance between them and their former camp had been greatly increased and as they took rest up on the higher ground, they could just make out the sliver of smoke emerging from the tree tops in the horizon. Steven's health began to dwindle faster than either of them anticipated and they were forced to find cover early so no more disturbance could be caused to Steven's wound, not to mention Carter's foot and calf began to cause problems too.

Being the only able-bodied one, Kara took the liberty to go out and get firewood and, if they were lucky, some food while Carter attempted to treat his wound. She was far from a doctor, but she was the best he had at saving his life. They were hidden in a small clearing surrounded by thick trees, there was just enough room for the three of them, a place for the fire and the horse. 

Carter rolled up Steven's sleeve to get a better look at the wound and sucked in a breath through her teeth when she saw how all of his veins around the wound were a dark purple. The color faded out as it got further away from the arrow, but it was still concerning— even Carter knew that having purple veins wasn't normal. She silently cursed at Clarke for getting taken; she would know what to do, she was their doctor, not Carter. Steven cleared his throat weakly, snapping Carter out of her thoughts and she forced a tight lipped smile.

"Okay, so I'm not going to sit here and tell you it won't hurt, because it probably will— I mean, Jesus, have you seen how bad it is-" Carter cut herself off when she realized she wasn't easing Steven in the slightest with her own worry. "Right, I'm not helping, am I?"

"Not in the slightest." Steven scoffed, his head slumping to the other side. Since Carter found him against the tree, he hadn't spoken much, even in his periods where he was awake, all he did was stare absently at the air. Carter didn't know what was going on in that head of his, but she hoped it was nothing to worry over. He was already setting her on edge by not talking. This was the same boy that would talk about anything and everything just so he could fill the silence. And now? Now, he was just consumed by his thoughts and only spoke on demand. "Just do what you gotta do, Carter, I'll be fine."

"Drop the bravado, Steven, you're not convincing anyone." Carter sighed. When he didn't make a move to reply, Carter shrugged off her jacket and handed it to him. He frowned in confusion. "Bite down on it, that's what I had to do when I busted up my foot." An involuntary shiver shuddered down her spine as memories of Finn came to mind. Since finding out he never made it to the Drop ship, Carter never had any time to think about him, or any of the others for that matter. She hoped and prayed that he and Bellamy managed to get away before the launch, but she doubted that.