XVIII- Uncanny allies

It's meeeeeeee!

Bold= Swedish.

Woo!

E I G H T E E N | UNCANNY ALLIES

"Hey, I'm talking to you!"

Carter remained deathly still, her muscles tensed and her breath caught in her throat. This was her greatest plan since she never actually thought she was going to get past the Reapers. Who does that?

Oh right, yeah, she does.

Mentally she cursed at her planning skills, or lack there of. The thought never even occurred to her of what she would do once she was inside Mount Weather... She was too focused on passing her first hurdle to even look to see where the second was.

And apparently, her second hurdle had just caught her by surprise. Literally.

The point of something sharp pushed against the middle of her spine and she suddenly sucked in a breath, thrown completely off guard.

"Being ignorant is considered rude, and I don't like rude people." The girl spoke with an even and unemotional tone, pushing what Carter could guess was a knife into her back, but not enough to pierce skin.

With a defeated sigh, the blonde threw her arms up to show she had no weapons and slowly turned around with a flat expression. Way to go Carter, this is what you get for not planning. As she turned, her eyes fell down a few inches as she came to face a girl a little smaller than herself. For a split second, Carter found herself amused at how she was being overpowered by a midget, and then her gaze found the small but deadly pocket knife in the girl's hand.

"It's not what it looks like." Carter laughed nervously, eyeing the blade.

"It looks like you're trying to break into my home." The girl retorted, her voice still monotone and her expression matched. "You don't look like an Outsider, so my guess is you're one of the sky kids and you're here to save your people."

"Okay then it's exactly what it looks like." Carter swallowed the bile rising in her throat and instead decided to meet the girl's eyes. "I just want my friends back, nothing more."

The girl nodded once and then looked behind Carter towards the sealed door that lead out into the Reaper caves. "Got any back-up?" She asked curiously.

"Nope, just me." The engineer replied stiffly. "Because I'm a dumbass."

The girl's head shot up the second Carter changed languages, but the fascination within them died quickly. With pursed lips, she glanced down at her watch and sighed.

"How fast can you run?"

"What?" Carter frowned.

"We have about forty-two seconds before the guards get here, nine seconds until the alarms go off from the high levels of radiation, if you wanna live to see another day, you best pray you have your running shoes on." The girl smirked, glancing down towards Carter's scuffed combat boots.

"Why are you helping me?" Carter blurted before she could contain her curiosity.

The girl paused for a moment. "I have my reasons. And this ain't for free, now come on before we actually do get caught." The second that last word came out of her mouth, the room was suddenly plunged into darkness as a wailing noise began, the siren Carter guessed. A few seconds later, a flashing red light somewhat lit up the way for the two girls and they both ran as fast as they could.