Chapter 11

"What's your favorite food?" Moonwatcher asked Duranta.

"I don't know... Maybe a fruit salad...?" Besides that probably just plain fruit. Nothing fancy... 

Moonwatcher laughed. "Umm ok, what fruits in the fruit salad?" 

"Maybe mandarins, pineapple and strawberries, oh! And mango!" 

"I haven't had a pineapple before or a strawberry..."

Duranta's eyes went wide. "You haven't!? You need too! Here I'll go get some. Be right back!"

Moonwatcher watched Duranta fly out of view. When should I tell her about my powers?  Should I ever? I feel so guilty! Moon thought.

After a few minutes Duranta returned lugging a sack full of, what Moon assumed were fruits. 

"Are those all pineapples and strawberries?" Moonwatcher asked.

Duranta grinned mischievously. Muahahaha! Just wait and see...! Duranta's inner voice said.

"Why are grinning so... weirdly?"

"I thought maybe, we could... play a game...!"

"Umm, now you're maybe scaring me..." Moonwatcher smiled, showing she wasn't really scared.

Duranta smiled wider and emptied out the contents of the sack onto the rainforest floor.

Moonwatcher stared. She recognized only about three of the fruits on the ground out of at least twenty. 

"I didn't even know there were these many fruits!"

"You don't know anything..." Duranta fake sighed disapprovingly.

"Hey! You live in a village full of dragons who can teach you what fruits there are." 

"Well, anyway this game is called; Close your eyes, pick, eat!" I wonder if she knows the red fruit is super sticky... Duranta's inner voice wondered. "The way you play is you close your eyes then pick a random fruit from the pile,  than eat it. I have to warn you a few of these fruits are a little... unpleasant to eat." 

"Will you play?"

"Of course I will, I won't make you suffer by yourself!" Joked Duranta. "Ready? Remember no peeking!"

"I won't!" Moonwatcher closed her eyes and picked a fruit. She opened her eyes and in front of her in her talons lay a blue spiky fruit. Her stomach twisted. She really hoped it would be good fruit.

"That's called a kaijin!" First fruit... And she's already gotten a pretty interesting one...

Duranta's remark did not make Moonwatcher feel any better. "How do I eat this?" 

"You kinda need to peel off the tough shell."

Moonwatcher tried to dig her talon into the shell but all it did was make a small dent. A small hiss of frustration snuck out. After trying over and over  digging her talon into the kaijin she gave up and used a rock to make a hole in the outer armor. She licked the fruit through the small opening.

Immediately a strong taste of what Moon could only describe as a cross between and orange and a banana flooded her tongue. "Interesting, not bad but not good." She remarked. Once she had cracked the rest of the shell off she stuffed the rest of the fruit in her mouth. She almost gagged on the overwhelming flavor.

"On no, it's my turn..." Duranta said a little nervously once Moonwatcher was finished. Moonwatcher watched smugly as Duranta closed her eyes and picked a bright red fruit. It looked like a red version of an orange. 

"Oh no... Not the worst fruit in the pile!" Duranta yelled after opening her eyes.

Moonwatcher laughed, grateful she didn't get that fruit. "What's it's name?"

"It's called a mumbi..." Duranta peeled the mumbi and popped the entire fruit in her mouth. She chewed and chewed and chewed. "Thim whym mogh baghd!" Ugh! It'll take at least an hour to swallow this! Why did I even eat this!? Duranta thought.

"Why can't you swallow the mumbi?"

"Igh camt becughs thughs ruit igh had togh chugh aghd stighy! Ughhhmmm!" 

"Uhhhh... I'll try to decipher what you said: You can't because the fruit is hard to chew and sticky?"

Duranta nodded.

"Is there anyway to you know, spit it out or something?"

"Yugh yuy neighd watir."

"You need water?"

Again, Duranta nodded.

"Ok I'll be right back!" Moonwatcher stood up to search for water.

Behind her Duranta thought I think Moonwatcher is really nice company. We should probably get together a lot more!

Moon felt like her heart would explode in happiness.

*****

Best friends.

Best friends, best friends, best friends.

That's what it said on the bracelet Duranta had given her. 

Best friends!

A month had passed since she had met Duranta and already Moon felt happier, lighter and overall less lonely.

"Finally, a best friend..." Moonwatcher whispered.

I hope you liked this chapter! I want to remind you about the... Prophecy powers... That will come up in a few chapters... All feedback welcome! Also I completely made up the names of the fruit, kaijin and mumbi.