Chapter 26

Dear Estelle,

When I first heard of Babydoll, I never thought there'd be a day where I missed having you in my life. Darry had always warned me to stay away from parties, and people like you who were there.

When you started hanging around I really didn't know what to think about you, but over the time we got to know each other, I learned a whole heck of a lot from you without learning a lot about you.

Even though what brought us to where we are now is pretty shitty, I'm glad that we're friends. I just wish it didn't have to be in this way. I could call, I just feel like it's missing something. It doesn't feel as genuine as taking the time to write the important things down.

Speaking of that, while Johnny was in the hospital he wrote people letters. I've put yours in with this one. Read it whenever you're ready. Whether that be right now or in 60 years.

It's not the same without you being around, hearing the bold rumors floating from Greased to Greaser, but nothing is the same anymore.

Miss you,
Ponyboy Curtis

_____
Dear Ponyboy,

I think that's one of the nicest notes I've ever gotten. Then again, I haven't gotten many. But still.

Thanks for sending me Johnny's letter. I'm not ready to read it right now,but I hope to be someday soon.

I've picked up guitar again, it feels good to do that again, to do something creative. I've been writing a song, too. I hope that somehow you'll be able to hear it someday.

I left Tulsa with no intent to ever look back, and I still don't intend to. But that doesn't mean we can't see each other ever again or that I'll never visit. Just because it is the place of some of my worst memories doesn't mean that it can't hold good memories in the future.

I hope we can both find ways to move on and people to surround ourselves with and to surround ourselves with love. I'm glad you've got the gang there for you, I was always jealous of the family the Curtis gang was. Never forget to acknowledge love, and never underestimate its value.

I know I'm not exactly surrounded by people out in the middle of nowhere, but I'm learning how to love again. I knew I loved Johnny like I know that I love you, but I think I'm starting to understand love. I hope that someday Dally does too.

Love,
Estelle "Babydoll" Parker

_____
Estelle drove back from dropping off Ponyboy's letter paying attention to nothing, in a state of anxiety from it.

She slammed the brakes as something caught her eye, a cardboard box moving ever so slightly.

She pulled off onto the side of the road, already suspecting what it was.

Her suspicions were confirmed upon peeking in, when she found a small puppy. She knew it couldn't be a good idea, Dally would murder her and the dog as well, but it deserved a chance. It was a dog. Dogs never caused evil the way people did. Besides, she had always wanted a dog as a kid, she wasn't going to pass up the chance now that it was right in front of her.

She picked up the box and carefully placed it on the floor of the backseat of the car, and drove more carefully back home.

Dally was sitting at the table, a scowl on his face and a cup of coffee in his hand. As she walked in with the dog in her arms, his eyes flashed from the dog to her face, and his scowl deepened.

"Throw it back out, you're already shit at taking care of yourself and I don't want it."

"Well good morning to you too, asshole. Who crapped in your cornflakes to put you in a mood like this?"

He sneered. "That ugly little dog of yours."

"Woah woah woah. It is my dog now but I draw the line at ugly. You just can't say it's ugly. Well, I guess you can say it, you'd just be lying."

"I don't give a flying fuck what the dog looks like, put it back wherever you found it and let me live my miserable life in peace."

"You just contradicted yourself, if your life is miserable it can't be peaceful too."

"Shut the hell up."

"Let me keep my dog in peace and I will."

"Liar."

"Asshole."

"Fucking bitch."

"Nope, that's the dog's mother. It can be an outside dog, will that make you happy?"

"Nope, I ain't a happy person."

She frowned, her hand stopping as she pet the dog. "Dally that's actually really sad."

"It's true."

"That's even sadder."

"Whatever, just take your dog and go."

"Great, I decided to name him Oliver!"

"That's a terrible name!"

"You got a better one, Mr. I'm Never Happy?"

"No," he admitted.