𝙞𝙞𝙞. the junkyard

CHAPTER THREE
THE JUNKYARD

        Abby, Steve, Dustin, and Alex plan gather at the edge of the woods early that morning.  There's a lot of ground to cover, and time has never been on their side.  The sky is overcast that day, the sun is blocked out by stormy gray clouds which only seem to reflect the somer mood that Abby has found herself in.  Her thoughts turn back every so often to the horror of the demodog with its rows of deadly teeth just mere feet away from her, how if they're not careful they can end up like Mews, chewed up and buried six feet underground.  And Abby Foster will be damned if she dies before she can make it to college.

The small group meets at the edge of the train tracks that wind through the forest of Hawkins.  Abby surveys each of the members of the small group: two thirteen-year-olds, one armed with scientific knowledge and a radio headset, the other armed with fists and biting insults, the king of Hawkins high school armed with a bat studded with nails, and a babysitter fueled only by ambition.  She only hopes that they'll be enough against the monsters loose in the town.

They've all brought backpacks filled with the necessities for their trek through the woods.  Steve opens his trunk to reveal four pails filled with chunks of raw pink meat.  Abby decides she doesn't want to know where he and Alex had managed to obtain this.  She adjusts the straps of her backpack as she leans against the trunk of her car, staring at the ground between her feet.

"Dustin!" A voice rings out from Alex's Supercomm.  "This is Lucas, do you copy?  Dustin?"

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Dustin drawls into his headset, placing his hands on his hips as Alex scrambles to withdraw the Supercomm from her backpack as Steve continues to unload the items from his trunk.

"Sorry, man, my stupid sister turned it off," comes Lucas' reply.

"Well, while you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and now I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon."

"Wait.  What?"

"I'll explain later," Dustin responds.  "Just meet me, Steve, Alex, and Abby at the old junkyard."

"Steve?" Comes Lucas's response.  

"And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket," Dustin adds.