𝙭𝙫𝙞𝙞𝙞. am(erica)

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
AM(ERICA)

         Erica stands at the top rung of the ladder, in her hands she holds a flashlight as she peers into the depths of the air duct.  Behind her, Abby, Robin, Steve, and Dustin wait patiently on the ground along the opposite wall.  Abby taps her foot anxiously as she watches.  Despite her protests against bringing another person into the tricky web that they had found themselves in, Dustin and Steve had agreed to consult with Erica.  Once satisfied, Erica clicks off the flashlight and hops off of the ladder.

"Yeah, I don't know," Erica tells them as she rests her hands on the table.

"You don't know if you can fit?" Dustin asks.

"Oh, I can fit," Erica answers with oozing confidence that Abby wished she could have.  "I just don't know if I want to."

"Are you claustrophobic?" Robin suggests.

"Yeah, if you feel unsafe, please tell us," Abby adds.  "You don't have to do this."

Erica only lets out a scoff and rolls her eyes.  "I don't have any phobias."

"Okay, well, what's the problem?" Steve questions.

"The problem is, I still haven't heard what's in this for Erica," Erica responds.  She puts a finger down on the table as she says each word for emphasis.

The remainder of the group all let out collective sighs and exchange glances.

Abby didn't know that it was possible for somebody to like ice cream as much as Erica Sinclair does.  The table is covered in different deserts, all topped with whipped cream, sprinkles, and fudge.  The sweet aroma is almost sickening, as Abby continues to stare at the tumultuous amount of ice cream Erica had order, but Erica doesn't seem to be too affected as she shoves spoonfuls of the sickly sweet dessert into her mouth.  Steve arrives with the last dessert in his hands and slides it across the table toward Erica.  The girl only looks down at the U.S.S. Butterscotch in distaste before she glances back up at Steve who sits expectantly with his arms folded on the table.

Erica slides the U.S.S. Butterscotch back across the table to Steve.  "More fudge, please."

Steve stares back unimpressed but Erica only smiles smugly and shoos him away with a wave of her hands.  She's clearly enjoying the amount of power that she holds over the group of four.  She knows now that they depend on her and she's going to be taking complete advantage of this.  Abby just hopes that the girl doesn't get too in over her head.  Steve lets out a small sigh and picks up the U.S.S. Butterscotch and ambles back to the counter.