𝙭. the long drive

CHAPTER TEN
THE LONG DRIVE

        Abby's attempts to actually get them out of the driveway have been . . . unsuccessful.  She had tries to ignore the fact that she's still seeing double (though her vision has improved), or that her head is still pounding, or that the ringing still fills her ears muffling the conversation slightly and the fact that her eyes are still stinging from where the blood has dripped into them.  There are more important things to deal with.  They had patched Abby, Alex, and Steve up the best they could.  There's a bandaid staunching the blood flow from her forehead, though she can still feel the searing pain, Alex holds an ice pack to the tender spot on the back of her head and to the arm that she had been dropped on, if she's in major pain, she doesn't say anything.  And Steve, arguably in the worst condition of them is still unconscious in the back seat as Dustin holds an ice pack to his forehead.  She still doesn't entirely know why he's here, especially since he doesn't approve of their plan, but Dustin had insisted they bring him along.

Abby raises a foot to step on the gas pedal, confident that her double vision will prove no difficulties, after all, she's managed to get the keys into the ignition with little difficulty.  And then she misses the pedal and her foot lands in the space between with a small thump.  Frowning, she tries again.  And misses.  Again.  Alex stifles a laugh.  By then the car has fallen into silence as the kids stare at Abby in concern.  Finally, Dustin leans forward and waves four fingers in her face.

"Hey, how many fingers am I holding up?" He questions.

"It's four, dipshit," Abby answers, swatting his hand away from her face.  "It's not like I've gone blind.  You're just a little blurry s'all."

"Yeah, well, we can't have you driving if you can't see straight," Dustin retorts.

"What do you suggest we do then?" Abby rebukes.  "I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who's allowed to drive here."

Billy's car barrels down the road.  The car is way over the speed limit, but there's no time for following the legalities of driving.  They've already taken up enough valuable time that night fighting with Billy and patching each other up.  Abby only hopes that they're not too late, that they still stand a chance against the Demodogs.  In the end, though most of it had been tuned out by Abby, with the ringing ears, and pounding head and all, they had decided that Max was the best suitable to drive the car.  The girl in question sits in the driver's seat, her gaze focused solely on the road as Lucas shouts directions from the passenger's seat.  She's yet to flip the car off the road, which Abby finds a promising aspect (she chooses to ignore the fact that Max has managed to send many mailboxes flying).  The rest are squished into the back seat of the Camaro.  Abby finds herself squished between Alex and Mike who holds the canister of gasoline in his hands.