Chances

Simon Basset was one of the most eligible bachelors in the outskirts of England. There was something about his serious facade and mysterious existence. Aside from sharing a boxing exhibition with his best friend, Will Mondrich, he was always seen in pubs and night clubs. 

He was known to be a rake and will always be a rake.

A high ranking status, which was earned from his father's legacy that he doesn't want to pursue, gave him the unlikeable aura of being cocky and arrogant. He doesn't care about people most of the time especially to those women who are throwing themselves at him for attention.

He was not a fan of talking not until there was this one time where he met a lovely young lady in a party when he came back from his travels to take care of his father's remains. She accidentally crashed into him when she was trying to escape from a man she doesn't even like. 

They apologized to one another but when she found the courage to talk to him so that she cannot be pursued by the man, Simon thought that she was like everybody else. She just had a different approach and tantic to gain his favor.

And it was so effective.

"What's your name, Sir?" She asked him with urgency.

He showed a cocky smirk.

"Do you want me to believe that you do not know my name, Miss?"

She looked back to trace the annoying man's presence and when she saw that he is close to their spot, she laughed to pretend that she is talking to Simon. She didn't absorb Simon's cocky remark.

"A very nice approach, Miss, but if you want an introduction, at least, be civilized."

"Excuse me?" She reacted with wide eyes. "Am I not being civilized?"

Simon roamed his eyes around and whispered something that she found offensive. "Of course, they will try anything."

"Sir, this is not," She emphasized that she is not trying to win his favor. "This is not what you," She sighed. "What is your name?"

She was so close to bursting because of his unfavorable behavior but their conversation got interrupted when her brother yelled from afar.

"Basset!" Anthony identified a familiar face and approached them. "Basset!"

"Bridgerton!" Simon greeted in return but in contrast to what he showed to the lady, he was happy to see his friend.

"Old friend!" Anthony chuckled but eventually, his happy expressions died down. "I've heard about your father. I'm sorry. Oh..." He realized, bragging. "You are not a Basset anymore. You're now carrying his name. Hastings, isn't it?"

"We should not make it a big deal." Simon dismissed the entirety.

The woman chimed in who was watching the men who were obviously happy for a reunion and said, "Simon Basset, of course. The Hastings heir."

Simon rolled his eyes.

"Ah! Right!" Anthony cleared his throat. "This is my old friend from Oxford, Simon Basset." He introduced before pulling the woman closer and directed to Simon, "This is my sister,"

"Sister?" He narrowed his eyes, intrigued that the woman is his friend's sister.

"Daphne Bridgerton." She declared her name with proudness. She faced her brother and muttered, "I'm aware of the company you keep. I'm sure, how you two met was civilized."

Daphne mocked Simon and he was not hiding his annoyance to the woman. She was so confident. And proud.

"I expect to see you around, Basset." Anthony tapped his shoulder.