Reminicsing Pt. I

I took a break from this, but here's a nice long chapter for y'all. Please comment and vote if you'd like for this book to continue 💛

Normani took the scenic route to Choie's house. She needed to think. Thinking couldn't happen with Choie around. She loved her best friend , she really did, but Choie had a bad habit of being loud when Normani needed her to be quiet. Driving through the chaotic streets of New York afforded Normani the time to observe. Families were all around on the sidewalks. All very different, but they still looked like they managed to work. Normani had gone through so many scenarios in her head of what her family would look like, should she choose to stay with Dinah. None of the pictures in her head were very appealing. How could she ever make a family work with someone who didn't want one? How could a family work when only one half of it was in love and the other was just using her as a means to satisfy her sexual urges? Normani could feel her headache creeping back in at the possible outcome. Once again, she mentally kicked herself for being in this position. She had managed to screw it all up. Such was the pattern of her life at this point.

Normani and Dinah had met by blind chance. Dinah was an established 23 year old dominant in her community. Normani was a fresh-faced 19 year old, new to the submissive scene and doe-eyed to the whole thing. Normani had never intended to go this route with her life. When she was a little girl, she'd had vivid dreams of being a dancer or an entertainer of some sort. She excelled in gymnastics, ballet, singing, you name it, she could do it. She also had desires to be a pediatrician should that route not work. Either way, she thought she was destined to be successful. Life just couldn't resist the urge to kick her down.

Normani was only fourteen years old when her parents were killed. The three of them were driving through the dark streets of their neighborhood in Houston. The Hamilton family had just relocated to Texas the summer before after they lost their home in New Orleans due to hurricane Katrina. That was the first bitch to ruin her life. The second one was the drunk driver who was speeding with his headlights off that horrible night. He'd slammed his truck into their car head on. The tiny vehicle had been spun around and flipped four times before coming to a stop. Normani could remember the terrible sound of the glass breaking all around them as they flipped over on the concrete. When she came to, they were still upside down. The piercing sound inside her ears was killing her. There was smoke everywhere. The blinding lights of the truck who had rammed into them were hurting her eyes. When she turned her head, she could barely make out her mother in the passenger seat, but she could just tell she was lifeless. The impact had crushed her, killing her instantly. The police had tried to soothe Normani by saying she hadn't suffered, but what the fuck did they know? Normani remembered her mother's screams before she blacked out upon the initial collision. She'd never heard a sound like that come from another human being. Sometimes she'd wake up in a cold sweat, that scream reverberating throughout her head. Her dad hadn't been as lucky to die right away, as cold as that sounds. He had a piece of metal from the car that had impaled his chest, piercing his heart. He also had severe swelling of his brain. He'd suffered for three days before he succumbed to his injuries.

Then there was Normani. She'd suffered two punctured lungs and four broken ribs, as well as a broken collarbone and a fractured right arm. Not to mention the nasty gash on her forehead from when she banged it on the broken window. When she came to the next morning after her surgery, she was immediately informed of her mother's passing. The pain in her body was nothing compared to the sensation of the broken heart that was somehow still beating in her chest. When she found out about her father after that, she just shut down. Life was suddenly meaningless at the thought of being a fourteen year old orphan. Once her grandmother Barbara, aka Babs, had finally been able to make it to her granddaughter's side, Normani felt a little spark of life come back to her. Babs's house was her second home. There seemed to be a little hope left for her out there.