Chapter 23

T.W: homophobic slur

Alex's POV:

I still don't know what to do about the whole Eliza situation. I'm fine with dating her, she's pretty, smart, and nice but she's not John. But in all honesty I don't wanna ruin me and Johns friendship by dating him. Because if we break up it might ruin our friendship. Ya know? Speaking of John..

JohnnyJohnny: my dad just got home can i come over for dinner

Youngscrapy: Isn't he making dinner, though?

JohnnyJohnny: no

Okay, strange.

Youngscrapy: Oh, okay. Yeah, that's fine. Mrs. Washington is making lasagna. Sound okay?

JohnnyJohnny: sounds great I'm heading over rn

Youngscrapy: Okay. See you soon.

JohnnyJohnny: yeah see ya

Johns POV:

"Where do you think you're going, boy?"

I flinch at the familiar gruff voice.

"My friend invited me to dinner. Is that okay?"

He scoffs and takes a puff of his cigarette. "Is this 'friend' a boy?" I shake my head. "N-no sir." He nods in approval. "Good. Because you know what I said about only spending time with boys. Wouldn't want my son to turn out a fag." I flinch at the word but nod nonetheless.

"Well go on then, don't keep your lady waiting." I nod. "Okay, sir." I leave out the front door and let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding in. My sexuality is the one thing I will never, and I mean never tell my father.

Martha Washington's POV:

I add a layer of sauce to the lasagna as I hear the door knock. "I'll get it!" Alexander says excitedly from upstairs. A few moments later I hear the front door open. "Hey Lexi." I hear a voice say from the other room. I peek out from the kitchen and see Alex hugging a taller freckled boy who I know as John.

"John! So nice to finally meet you." Alexander pulls away from him and turns his head to face me. John smiles and walks towards me. He shakes me hand politely and smiles again. "Likewise. Alex has told me so much about you, mrs. Washington." I smile warmly and motion for Alex to come over by us. "Please, call me Martha. I've been trying to get Alexander here to call not call me mrs. Washington for months! Oh well, it'll work eventually."

Alex's POV:

I scoff and roll my eyes sarcastically as John snorts at me. "Sounds like him." I smack Johns arm lovingly for saying that. Mrs. Washington smirks softly at us and I feel my face heat up a bit. She doesn't know? Right? "Well, boys. I must go finish up the lasagna. Feel free to watch a movie in the theatre room or go upstairs." John nods and smiles at her and leads me upstairs.