Chapter 2

The rest of the night is a blur- Toji knows he met Tsumiki's teacher, but if pressed, he probably couldn't remember any of the conversation. Apparently, the only thing that did imprint on him from that night was the expression on Y/N' face, which, in an unsettling development, is the only thing Toji remembers from his dream.

He makes sure the kids are stumbling around their rooms, blearily putting on clothes, before getting in the shower himself. He's just stepping out again as he hears the tail end of Tsumiki's "someone on the phone for you" yell. Toji scrambles for a towel and the phone at the same time and all he hears is "...can you come in? It would mean a lot to the kids."

"Yes- hi, yes," Toji says reflexively.

"You will? You don't know how great that is, thanks, Toji!"

Toji realizes it's Y/N at the same time he realizes he just agreed to do a totally unknown favor for Y/N.

"I'll send you an email with all the details, it'll take like an hour, tops!" Y/N assures him and Toji is getting increasingly nervous. "Oh, man, I gotta run or I'm going to be late to school, thanks again, you're going to be amazing!"

Toji feels distinctly concerned.

When he gets to the office after dropping the kids off at school, he immediately checks his inbox:

Hey, Toji-

Thanks again for agreeing to do Career Day- even if you're not actually a cowboy, I think the kids will flip over you! Just be ready for like, a five minute speechy thing about what it is you do that's good for five year olds. But you know, you have one, so I figure you know how to talk to them. It's a month from now, Thursday the 15th. Let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks,

Y/N

He's a little relieved and weirdly disappointed for no reason he can figure out. Toji sends back a quick "Received," because it's only polite. He figures that it'll go on the calendar and that'll be that, which is probably why they run into Y/N in the cereal aisle in the grocery store that night.

Megumi is in rapturous ecstasies, despite having seen Y/N less than 3 hours ago, chattering away, as Y/N smiles and nods. Her cart is full of pop-tarts and red bull and Toji wonders how she's even alive. Y/N glances up and must follow Toji's line of sight because he just laughs.

"I know, I know. Since I moved out, I eat like a college student. But I save all the healthy meals for my dad." Y/N says.

"Dad, Ms. L/N's dad is a police officer, did you know that? A police officer." Megumi explains, starry-eyed.

Toji nods. "I've met him before." he says. He hadn't connected the dots between her dad and Y/N before, but it makes sense. Megumi stares at Toji accusingly like he's been keeping this information from him. "He's come by the reserve a couple of times."

"Well, the next time he does, tell him Y/N knows about the donuts," Y/N jokes. The Officer has eaten a danish in front of Toji multiple times, the sticky turnover ones that Emma brings in on Fridays with the look of a man seeing the face of god. Emma's danishes make everyone feel like that, but Toji understands it a little better if Y/N has put a donut embargo on the Officer.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Toji says loyally.

Y/N snorts. "Yeah, you and every other aider and abetter in town." She glances at Toji's cart. "But hey, I like a challenge. This weekend we're doing tofu burgers. Well, he thinks they're turkey."

"You should come over for dinner, Ms. L/N!" Megumi chirps loudly and they both start protesting at once.

"I'm sure Ms. L/N has other plans-" Toji tries as Y/N says, "I wouldn't want to intrude-"