Chapter 3

Toji's kept busy planning Megumi's birthday in two weeks. He's had his present for months- they're going to take a weekend trip to Disneyland the next long weekend. He figures he should bring cupcakes into school, since it's what he always does for Tsumiki and he doesn't want to rock the sibling boat. He also knows he should email Y/N about it, because that's only polite.

Which is why he's been staring at a blank email for 10 minutes.

He's tried to start it four separate times, but he only ever manages something that looks like this:

Hey.

I'm bringing cupcakes to school for Megumi's birthday. It's on the 22th.

Toji.

He accidentally hits send around identical version 6 and spends a couple of seconds muttering "fuck" under his breath, but eventually shrugs it off. All the important information is in there, anyway.

30 minutes later, he has a response from Y/N:

Hi!

Awesome! Who doesn't love cupcakes? I certainly do, and everyone knows what a connoisseur I am. We're surprisingly allergy free this year, only a couple of nut issues, so just stay away from peanut butter and you should be epi pen free. There are 14 kids in the class, including Megumi, plus you and me (and I usually can't stop at just one cupcake- can you? So maybe bring at least 17 : ) right?)

See you then!

Y/N

Toji stares at the screen, because he really can't believe that Y/N sent him an email with a smiley face in it, but there it is.

When he goes to the bakery, he orders two dozen and figures he can take one home for Tsumiki and give the rest to you, since Y/N apparently like cupcakes so much. The baker seems delighted with the order- Toji googled for about two seconds before finding cupcakes Megumi would go crazy over and he brings her the pictures he definitely printed out on his work printer. They're dinosaur themed, because apparently Y/N taught them about fossils and Megumi's been obsessed ever since. Toji has probably read Dinotopia to Megumi upwards of twelve times. The baker is probably just excited because they're going to cost an arm and a leg- he can't believe he's spending this much money on cupcakes- but it's not like Toji can bake, so, what can he do, really.

Megumi literally wakes up singing on his birthday- some strange, warbling thing about being king of the dinosaurs and birthdays and riding hippogryffs. Toji has firmly acknowledged he's never going to understand either of his kids. Ever. But he can't stop smiling and chuckling under his breath, because Megumi is obviously delirious with joy that he's six and for the next three months, will be only two years younger than Tsumiki, not three. Toji makes eggos with ice cream for breakfast- which is firmly a 'birthdays-only' event- and by the time he has Tsumiki and Megumi in the car they're both little balls of sugar-high goodwill toward person.

"Bye, Dad, enjoy my birthday!" Megumi yells as Toji drives away to go pick up the cupcakes. The cupcakes are theoretically a surprise, but who knows, Tsumiki might have told Megumi. Secrets aren't exactly Tsumiki's strong suit- it's a good thing as a parent that Tsumiki is utterly, sadly incapable of lying, but it's going to make her teenage years really embarrassing for both of them.

The cupcakes are ridiculously adorable- he's enough of a man to admit that. There's even one with a little pterodactyl, wings open around a "6" that is specifically for Megumi. Toji's feeling pretty smug when he signs in at the office and the entire staff comes over to coo over the cupcakes- Megumi and Y/N are going to flip.

Megumi does flip- he had no idea Toji was coming and the cupcakes send him into an almost catatonic state of joy. The other kids are shrieking with joy and Y/N carefully deals out cupcakes, with strict instructions not to eat them until everyone has one and they've sung happy birthday.