Chapter One: Ten Years Later, Donald's House Boat

Twila woke up with a start. She stared up at the darkened ceiling of her little room, and heaved a shuddering breath. This was the fourth time this week she'd dreamed of that day. Probably because, at the moment, Donald's boat was in the Duckburg Marina, and Scrooge's Money Bin could literally be seen from the deck.

Not to mention his yacht was docked only a few boats away from them. Coincidentally, outside her window. Naturally, moving back to Duckburg served to bring back some memories...particularly the painful ones.

"Might as well get up," She said, stretching and slipping out of bed. She held her breath as the cold floor met her webbed feet. Pulling her blanket around her shoulders, she quietly slipped out of her room and made for the kitchen.

Stifling a yawn, she shuffled out of her room and into the living room. Her room literally opened right into it, which gave her an advantage when it came to Movie Night. She got pick the best seat on the couch. 

As she moved past the couch, Twila was surprised to find Louie asleep on the couch. She'd been sure he went to sleep in his room. She shrugged the feeling off, however. I mean, it was Louie - the kid had mastered slipping out at night to watch late night tv specials. On occasion, Twila had even joined.

"Hey, you awake?" Twila whispered, going to sit beside her little brother. Louie groaned in response, snuggling closer into his hoodie. With a smile, Twila put her blanket over him and rubbed the top of his head. He didn't answer, and instead cuddled more into his hoodie and the blanket.

Smiling to herself, Twila stretched again, and went to the kitchen. She wanted to put some music on, but then decided that wouldn't be a good idea. It was still pretty early, and she didn't want to wake anyone up. It was Summer Vacation, after all.

Just because there wasn't any music, however, didn't mean she couldn't do a little dancing. Twirling around, Twila danced into the kitchen, glancing at the various cupboards while her night gown flowed around her.

"Lets see..." Twila said, tapping the chin of her beak as she came to a stop. "I think cold cereal will be the quietest meal I can eat."

With that, she grabbed a bowl, spoon, box of cereal, and a carton of milk. She turned to sit down at the table when she saw Dewey sneaking across the room. He froze, not moving an inch as Twila stared at him. Then, when she just stood there, he glanced over at her quickly, and then away. Slowly, he moved a foot forward.

"What are you doing up?" Twila asked, confused. Dewey hated waking up early - especially when it was cold outside. Huey? Yeah, she could see Huey waking up early - but Dewey? No. He'd much rather sleep in.

"I...um...I'm sleep walking," Dewey said, closing his eyes and moving like a mummy towards the door. Twila raised an eyebrow as she put her cold breakfast down. She walked over and put a hand on Dewey's head, turning him around. "Hey! Oh, I mean - Morning Twila! I must have been sleeping."

"Nice try," Twila said, steering him towards the table. "I can see you're fully awake Mr. Sleep-Walking-Mummy."

"Ugh - I can never fool you." Dewey complained, folding his arms. Twila smiled at him as she pulled a chair out for him. She waited until he sat down before pushing the food towards him. Dewey looked at the food, and then back up at Twila. "What's this?"

"Breakfast." Twila stated, grabbing another bowl and spoon for herself. She joined her little brother, pouring herself a bowl of cereal and milk.

"I hate cereal..." Dewey said, and Twila looked up at him. He stuck his tongue out as she scooped a spoonful of the food into her mouth.

"Funny - I remember you begging Uncle Donald for some cereal -"