Bone Diggers - Chapter Eight

Loading... Chapter Eight

Owen folded the paper that lined their food trays, creasing it one way a couple of times before shifting it around to fold it another. "Maybe Amilia gets a boost from Daniel," he said. Neal looked up from his food and across the table to Owen as he went on. "Otherwise, she should be a complete novice, right? It would be pointless to add party members if you just have to end up protecting them."

"It's cute that you think I know." Neal finished his last bite of food before crumpling up the wrapper and tossing it onto the tray.

The movement caught Owen's eye. He looked towards their shared tray like Neal had just illegally walked onto the field, but didn't cry foul. "It's not like I have anyone else to talk to about it. I haven't even told the guild about it yet."

"Why not?"

Owen shrugged. He stared down at the paper football he made and spun it around between the tips of his thumb and index finger by its corners. He wasn't sure why he hadn't told the guild. For the amount of time they collectively put in, someone was bound to know. In part, Owen just wanted to hold onto something that was just his. Telling the public, or anyone besides his close friends, would be putting it out there for the whole world to speculate on.

"What's her name again?" Neal asked, and held his fingers up against to table to make goal posts.

"Amilia Le'Russo." Owen set the paper football down on the table before flicking it. It flew in between Neal's fingers and landed in his lap.

Neal picked it up, lining up a shot of his own. "Check the Wikia." The paper landed on the seat next to Owen, who shot his friend a look as he reached for it. "Oh, come on! There are people dedicated to updating that thing."

"Like you?"

"Some people have religion, I have video game knowledge," Neal said as he gathered the trash onto the tray.

"Good to know I'll have company in hell." Owen barely had enough time to toss his own trash on the tray before Neal took the whole thing to throw away. Owen headed for the door, incidentally holding it open for a mother of two as he waited. "So, L train, or do you want to get a cab back to my place?"

"Train," Neal said, "I hate trying to get a cab in this neighborhood."

***

It was almost scary how safe he felt in Daniel's home. The buildings in this section of town were stone and felt as if they would withstand any siege. Despite how unlikely an attack would be, it was still his own personal fortress.

Books and papers were piled on the desk across from a fireplace that was lit year-round regardless of the weather. From by the door, where Amilia was standing, one could even see into the bedroom, though it was only a glimpse of the blue trim at the foot of the bed.

Trinket-lined shelves hemmed the room with items saved from quests. They weren't all rare or particularly valuable, but each had a story attached that had earned them their place. Daniel shifted uncomfortably on his feet as Amilia looked around his private museum.

"This is quite the collection." Amilia had been slowly edging closer and closer to them, likely without even realizing it. Before her curiosity got the best of her, she turned to Daniel. "Have you been collecting for long?"

"Little over four years."

Amilia seemed to nod a little before asking another question. "How far have you traveled?"

Daniel leaned against his desk. That was a question he hadn't expected. Siguenza was about three or four days south of the coast, and almost right in the middle of the country. Many cities like this one filled up during the day, but most lived in capital. "Uh..." He tossed his hands in the air. Unsure how detailed of a story she was looking for. Learning about her would be far more interesting than repeating his own story. "Almost everywhere around the country, I guess. Barcelona, Santiago, Madrid. Even France a number of times."