Bone Diggers Chapter Twenty Four

Loading... Chapter Twenty Four

The trip started to resemble a vacation, filled with the type of days that people lived for; careless, fun, free. Amilia lifted a trinket up into the light. It seemed to glow a warm orange as the sun ran through the glass sides. "Did you want to bring home a souvenir to add to your collection?" She turned the trinket lovingly in her hands. "If it was me I'd pick this one."

"It's nice," Daniel said, without much of a glance. Nothing seemed to catch his attention as much as the company he got to hoard to himself recently. "But I have everything I could want."

Amilia looked up, a light blush gracing her cheeks. They gave a polite thanks to the merchant for their time before they ventured further down the street.

Daniel's steps picked up as he veered off towards the mouth of a cross street. "Follow me."

"Why?"

"You'll see." Daniel picked up her hand and darted across the street. They found a good little hiding spot in a shaded path. Amilia stood close to the wall, carefully watching his face as he glanced to see if anyone else was coming.

"What is it?" she whispered.

"Nothing." Daniel looked back to her, grinning boldly. "I just wanted you alone for a moment."

"You rascal!" Amilia punched him in the arm for the ruse. He laughed and held his 'injured' arm. Amilia placed her arms around his neck. "As least you are my rascal."

"True," Daniel smiled. The agreement wasn't exactly the words he wanted to say, but they were easier to say. He thought about kissing her, but movement caught his attention. He looked up, and spotted a someone standing at the crossroads. "We need to go."

"Daniel," she laughed. "I'm not falling for that again."

"I'm being serious this time." Daniel didn't glance back as he took steps towards the stranger. The sun silhouetted where Seb stood for a moment until the hate in his eyes burned brighter. It was the look of a man who wanted blood. "You should run, Amilia."

"No," she said. Daniel looked back to her. She stood defiant. "I'm not going to be anyone's puppet anymore."

It hardly seemed like the right time for her to reclaim any loss of dignity, but if she believed it was, so be it. If Amilia refused to make a break for it he could at least take the focus off of her. "Come back for another beating, have you?" Daniel taunted. He strolled closer, and could now see men in armor waiting along the sides. Bringing friends, or more likely paying for friends, made things a bit harder.

"You have it all wrong." Seb grinned. Having men at his command boosted his sense of worth. "I've come for something, but it isn't that."

A snicker escaped Daniel. "I'm sorry, you aren't my type."

An expression of confusion shifted into horror as he realized what Daniel was suggesting. It would have made Daniel grin more, but Seb signaled his men to move closer first.

"Stop this." Amilia stepped forward, resting her disdain on Seb. Her hands balled up, but she stood firm. No one seemed to listen as they pushed passed her towards Daniel. Her fear spiked as one of the men decided to grab her arm.

"Now Amilia, show a little composure." Another voice called, one they've both heard before. Don Ambrogio stepped forward, looking at his nails before giving his full attention. It became clear that this was less about Seb's interests and more about Daniel and Lance crashing the knight's party. "After all, we don't want people to believe you actually want to defend the thief."

Daniel mumbled a curse and twirled a dagger around in his hand. The air chilled at the realization that this was the city that was founded by the knight order centuries ago. It was clear no one was taking him as a threat, and he hoped to change that. He expected them to pile onto him, but instead they glared and waited for the command.