Bone Diggers - Chapter Thirty Two

Loading... Chapter Thirty Two

One modern torture was watching someone progress in a meaningful way. At least Facebook allowed people to be mad about it in the privacy of their own home. What's worse is seeing the world change while being absolutely hung up on something else. Things that shouldn't have mattered did, and pixels cut as sharp as anything else.

When Owen wasn't working, he helped Em and her new child. He'd even fallen asleep with the baby on his chest once, since any minute the real world could spare was given to the virtual one.

Daniel was so close to finding something, a clue from the book he'd found in Santiago, about magic that shouldn't exist. If he could give Amilia's death meaning, then he could carry on himself.

Missions were filled with guessing and level grinding. Upon Daniel's return to the guild, he was placed at the helm of things. It took some haggling from his father and Lance, but dedicating himself fully eliminated any doubt of Daniel's commitment. All his time was spent making plans, deciding who would be best for the mission, and securing a ship. A few clues suggested it was here in Spain. However, Daniel personally believed that the stone aegis was in the Canary Islands. It was someplace new, and the promise of adventure raised his spirits.

The thieves guild was abuzz with a possibility of a shield that held powers that didn't exist anywhere else in the world. Only a few didn't buy into the rumors, believing it was nothing more than misread patch notes. Isidoro was part of this group, but his disbelief was for personal reasons. His rank wasn't high enough to join the party, and therefore didn't want it to be true. But that didn't mean he wasn't going to go quietly. "Please," he begged, "Please, please. Another hand never hurts."

Daniel completely ignored him, as he did most things that didn't help forward the mission. Lance filled in for his recent lack of social skills. "Try not to take it so hard," he said, "A party of five would be too many. Lucas, Abel, Daniel, and I are a proven combination that gets results."

As the day wore on, everyone headed home. "Hey, wait up," Lance called, running to catch up with Daniel on his way out. "So, I was thinking we should get some dinner." A man passed between the two, parting them briefly. "On me. Well, technically him." Lance smirked, and held up the stolen coin pouch.

Daniel stopped only after the act of thievery. "Can you go a single day without messing around?"

"I—uh," Lance stumbled to say anything at first. It wasn't like his friend to be so humorless. "But we always get free dinner like this."

"We have money," Daniel said, and started walking again. "There is no reason for the added bullshit."

"But..." Lance frowned, feeling daft that he wasn't catching on yet. "It's more fun this way."

Daniel spun around like he had enough. "Grow up. You can't act like a child on this mission."

Lance's footsteps came to a dead stop. He stared as Daniel pulled down on his tunic as if it, too, annoyed him. Lance knew better than most that Daniel had been acting different for a while now. But he had hoped, if given enough time... "Finding the damned thing isn't going to bring her back," Lance said. "Even if you do find it, then what? What are you going to do, without your prized Amilia, and without your beloved mission?"

With a growl, Daniel moved closer into Lance's face. "Don't you ever talk to me that way again."

"Or what?" Lance dared. Daniel was right about one thing, this was bullshit. "I'm done here."

They continued to work together, but not with the same smoothness as before. Their friendship was turning into a formality. When the morning of the mission came, there was a knock on Daniel's door. Lance stepped inside, but seemed far too uncomfortable to come in further.