Chapter 2 - You're not forgotten

Song : Lewis Capaldi - Someone you loved
Title from the song : The Corrs - Forgiven Not Forgotten

Author's note:

Thank you for reading my first ever work of fiction. It means a lot. :) I have been quite surprised by the number of (silent) readers. I hope you liked it so far.

It is actually really hard to write a fanfiction and I'm not sure I'm up to that task, although I have a lot of ideas but I don't know how to build my writing, as I've never written anything but essays on History or Literature.

I'll try my best to write a chapter every week or every couple of weeks, as I have to juggle family life and full-time teacher's job, and it's HARD work. I also dabble in (hehe) sewing and keeping in shape (poor job at that at the mo), so hey, let's try ! ;) Enjoy.

Any feedback or constructive criticism is welcome :) Have a nice day !

(Jay's POV)
"Don't leave me, don't leave me..."

As the feeble lights of dawn peeked shyly through the slats of the shutters, I slowly woke up to the sound of my voice murmuring those words again after another night of restless sleep. No amount of physical work prevented this ghost of a memory to come back.

I sat up in my bed and let out of deep sigh. Another day at the junkyard and I felt at a dead end. Sure, I was not up there at the monastery, surrounded by people and things constantly reminding me of Nya's absence but here, I couldn't escape either: I was carrying her with me everywhere.

I promptly jumped out of bed and got ready for the day, shaking those depressing thoughts away. Passing through the kitchen, I kissed my parents and grabbed a piece of toast from a plate, busying myself with the kettle on the counter behind the table in order to avoid any eye contact. Yes, it was childish but I didn't want to burden them with my problems. However, from the way they looked at each other when I came out of my room I gathered that they were about to lecture me again and I was bracing myself.

"Hi Mum, Hi Dad!" I said a little too cheerfully. The words came out of my mouth so fake... "Five, four..."

"Good morning sweetheart, sit down with us, I have made the delicious pancakes you love so much !" my mum invited me.

"Uhm, no, thanks mum, I'll just grab some tea and toast and I'm on my way." "Three, two..."

"Come on son, come join us, I'm sure what you have to do can wait for a few more minutes." My dad added. "One..."

"Dearie, you've been here for 6 months and we hardly ever see or speak to you!"

"Here we go...", I said under my breath and rolled my eyes before I turned around and sat down with them.

"Ok, ok, I'll sit down just for a minute or two then, I've got plenty to do today."

"What are you working on son? Maybe I can help you out..."

"Oh it's nothing, I'm just dabbling in some stuff... and well I've got to get going !" I quickly stated before standing up, still munching on my toast.

"Sit down, dearie !" my mum said quite authoritatively.

I froze and sat back down... "Okaaaay..." The last time I had heard my mum raising her voice like that was when I was 8 and almost burnt down the trailer as I had hacked the coffee machine and the stove with a small robotic device so that we would wake up to perfectly boiled eggs and crispy rashers of bacon every morning. Needless to say, it hadn't worked out well and I stayed out of my mum's kitchen from then on. I knew better than to make her mad at me.