Chapter 19 - In the Dark

N/A: I had to delete and upload this part again due to a technical problem. Sowwy ! :-/

Chapter's title from the song « In the dark » from Purple Disco Machine.

The Storm Amulet? I looked at Cole in disbelief.
"Wait, what?"

His face radiated all the appearance of calm and confidence, the corners of his lips were slightly lifted and I was instantly convinced that it was only a funny - though quite scary - verbal slip up. No, Cole never meant to say the Storm Amulet. He was only referring to the other trinklet, the Wave one. The one Nya broke when she valiently defeated Wojira.

But it didn't hurt to make sure.

"You mean the Wave Amulet, the one the mermaid guys fixed for us, am I right? To be honest, you never actually explained how you got hold of it... oh ! Hold on, I'm positive Benthomar lent you a hand. Such a great guy, so ressourceful, so driven... Never let us down. Always there when we need him. Trustworthy, yes that's the word. It feels good to have an ally like him underwater, but as a matter of fact, I still don't know how the Wave Amulet will be of any use because I am not the master of water haha..." Just shut up.
"No, Jay, you heard me right, the Storm amulet. We have both in our possession. You're actually going to use both, or try to."

I froze up and lost track of what I was babbling about. "What... what the hell are you on about? Why? How? What?"

"You ran away and we didn't have time to mention it back at the monastery... actually we still have a lot more to fill you in with but that will have to wait til you come back."

I didn't know what to say. Nevertheless, Cole seemed to have read my mind or anticipated my questions and launched himself in a monologue.

"We figured out where the Storm Amulet was after Wojira got defeated. In fact, you were right: it was Benthomar who located it. He relentlessly tracked down the Amulet and even Nya for weeks. He also got the Wave Amulet fixed. Without his help, I don't think we could have made such a breakthrough. He was extremely concerned by Nya's fate and never stopped looking for her and ways to get her back. I don't know what it is, maybe it's because the ocean is his element too after all. We found out she was regularly coming near this beach. Or her spirit."

I was speechless at the almost chivalrous recounting of how Benthomar had saved the day while I was moaning and whining at my parents' trailer, acting like a crybaby. Damn. I had it all wrong. And a part of me hated myself for it and Benthomar even more. That wasn't quite fair either but I didn't care.

"So now we have both Amulets in our possession and we figured out you could somehow use the Storm Amulet with your lightning power. It must be connected to you somehow. Like a sort of power-up ! As to the Wave Amulet, we're not sure yet. We'll have to experiment and see how that goes. However we're hopeful it could work out if everyone gives it a good shot."

He turned to me and his gaze, though soft and friendly, made me uneasy, as if I didn't deserve it. I knew I had messed up. I should have been there to get those trinklets out of the water, to put my head together with them, to try out all that could be done. We'd lost so much time because of my foolishness.

"O.. okay." I gulped down my stupidity together with my shameless jealousy.

Cole slapped me on the shoulder with a light-hearted shout-out and woke me out of my torpor.

"Don't worry, mate, we'll sort it all out in due course. The amulets are in good hands at the moment, according to Wu. We'll talk about it at the monastery tomorrow, after a good night's sleep. I guess we all need it."