𝟗 | Day Of Days

𝔙𝔞𝔩𝔨𝔶𝔯𝔦𝔢
" the council "
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

𝔙𝔞𝔩𝔨𝔶𝔯𝔦𝔢" the council "THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

────── 〔✿〕──────

Maleficent was never one for tears but she couldn't deny how her throat felt tight or the sting in her eyes as she stared at the familiar hobbit in front of her who gazed back at her just as fondly.

"Hello Bilbo" she almost whispered.

"Hello Maleficent" Her friend smiled.

Slowly, bones aching, the weathered looking halfling raised his arms for an embrace that the woman eagerly stepped into. Her arms wound around his plush muddle, his own around her shoulders, before her dark midnight wings wrapped around them both like a warm familiar blanket. Bilbo leant his head against her shoulder. Like always, she smelt of the air after rain and fresh pine. He in contrast smelt of fresh baked goods and honey. The familiar homely feeling washed over the pair of them as they simply basked in each other's presences.

Slowly, she pulled back to place a ringed hand against his face "you have aged, my friend"

"And I'm finally feeling my age as well" he chuckled "the years have caught up with me yet you still appear to evade it's clutches"

"As always, you flatter me" the Witch smiled, thumb running over the arch of his cheek. The youth had seemed to leech from his skin, now looking like well worn weather, but the twinkle of adventure remained in his eyes.

Bilbo shook his head and smiled "I speak nothing but the truth"

"How has your stay been?" Maleficent hummed as she took his arm to lead them both to a stone bench in a beam of soft sunlight "I had expected you to visit the Blue Mountains or Erebor but imagine my surprise when I found you here"

"I wished to travel further but I am old." The hobbit sighed, feet barley brushing the floor, while he rested his wrinkled hands on the handle of his walking stick "And I can't help but linger in a place of such beauty and peace. What of you? Have you traveled since I left?"

"I had stayed in the Shire and, truthfully, I may have fallen in love with it's rolling hills." The woman smiled "I was hesitant to leave, even for this journey."

"This journey?"

"As much as I would love to say I've come to visit, I'm afraid I'd be lying" Maleficent admitted, a small wince pinching her features "An issue sadly forced our hand and we could no longer stay. Though it is a happy coincidence that our destination has brought us all together again"