𝟏𝟎 | The Dark Ahead

𝔙𝔞𝔩𝔨𝔶𝔯𝔦𝔢
" honesty"
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

𝔙𝔞𝔩𝔨𝔶𝔯𝔦𝔢" honesty"THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

────── 〔✿〕──────

Maleficent checked and rechecked the weapons and gear layered across her bed, tugging absently at the straps of her light black leather armour. If was secure already but she couldn't help but adjust it over and over again simply to keep her hands busy. Buckles were redone, straps were adjusted, before she fixed both of them again in a small cycle of monotonous actions.

A timid knock broke her out of her repatition.

"Come in" She hummed distractedly, hands abandoning her armour catches to instead gather up her long chestnut lock into a hasty braid.

The door creaked open and a familiar blue eyed Hobbit stepped into the candle lit room "Hello"

"Hello Frodo." Maleficent smiled warmly as she pinned her braid to the back of her head in a flat twist "It's a bit early to be up, you should be resting in bed"

"I could say the same to you" the hobbit smiled tiredly. He ambled further into her room at the beckon of her hand, feet not making a sound against the polished marble floor, before letting himself drop down into a small fainting coach pushed up against the wall beside the door. His feet dangled slightly. The clothes he wore were pressed to perfection but Maleficent could see the small crescent moon under his eyes and the wildness in his hair.

"Couldn't sleep." The witch admitted "Thought it best to be productive"

"As did I" His voice was airy and absent. There was a far away look in his blue eyes that had become familiar through their short journey.

Maleficent raised a brow "What troubles you?"

"My own thoughts these nights." The Hobbit hummed wearily as he sank slightly into the plush cushions of the sofa "I dread the coming journey and what it means for me as well as Sam, Merry and Pippin. We weren't built for battle or travel, we know that, and we know that you'll all be there to protect us but the fear still lingers."

His words hung heavy in the air. A tiredness had already settled in his bone from the journey from Hobbiton to Rivendell and the weight of the ring around his neck was beginning to leave a throbbing creak. Exhaustion clung to him like a sickness. His skin was just that slight bit paler while the blue of his eyes was almost ghostly in the early morning sun. He looked beyond tired.

An indistinguishable feeling welled in the woman's stomach. It was stormy mix of anger, hurt, and chilling fear. Frodo was too young and kind for any of this. They all were.