part one, chapter one

┍━━━━━━━━━━┑
Jᴀɴᴜᴀʀʏ 𝟺𝚝𝚑, 2005
𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚔𝚜, 𝚆𝚊𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐𝚝𝚘𝚗
┕━━━━━━━━━━┙

MANY YEARS HAD PASSED, BUT the memory was still fresh in his mind. He thought about it a lot, remembering the way his mother had looked at him-there was a sadness and guilt in her eyes as he was hauled into that cart, as if she regretted getting him sent away.

He had been locked away in that place for years, some of them while he was still human, but most were after he had turned. Those were the memories that stuck out the most; the suffering he had gone through as a newborn.

Björn did his best to repress those distant memories, but it never seemed to work, as if they were carved into his memory and have scared over instead of healing. He knew why, though, and it was the same for all the Others.

That was what he called them-the people that lived inside his mind. It was what the doctor had tried and failed to cure all those years ago. Was what drove a wedge between him and his family.

"I thought I would find you out here," A dainty voice said, causing the boy to look over his shoulder, seeing his sister approach. His eyes followed her silently as the black haired beauty made herself comfortable beside him. "You're pretty predictable, you know."

Her words caused a small smile to lift up to the boy's lips. His head turned so that his golden eyes could look back over the vast landscape of trees below them. It was one of his favorite spots in Forks-just atop a stone cliff, giving a birds eye view of the forrest around them.

"Not like I was trying to hide from anyone," Björn snarked back at her, nudging his shoulder lightly against hers. The action caused both to laugh softly, the sound echoing across the wilderness.

The pair fell silent for a moment, both just enjoying the view before them. It was comfortable, however, so neither of them really minded it. That was what living with one another for a handful of decades could do to a pair.

"Why'd you come looking for me anyways?"

Alice shrugged, turning her head to face her brother. "You said you were just going hunting, but that was hours ago. Esme was getting worried about you, so I offered to come out and find you." She paused, letting out an unnecessary sigh. "I had to hunt, too, anyways."

The boy hummed, but didn't say anything else, returning the pair back to silence. He had a feeling the girl knew why he had sat up here for so long, and not even due to her psychic abilities. The pixie girl knew him all too well.

"You were thinking about them again, weren't you?" She said, voicing his suspicions aloud. "Your parents. That day."

The boy cleared his throat softly, nodding. "Yeah. Yeah, I was." She remained silent, waiting on him to continue. "It's just still hard to believe, even after all these years. She just...let me go."

His eyes drifted down to his lap, head tilted down as he played with his fingers. He truly didn't have time to process it before his body was slumping down, eyes falling closed. The boy sat there for a moment before he blinked his eyes open again, trying to process what was happening around him.

The girl studied him for a moment, not saying a word as to let the boy get his bearings. As his eyes slowly lifted to meet hers, Alice knew instantly who had come through. She placed a gentle hand on the boy's shoulder, rubbing gentle circles on his skin.

"How are you doing today, Jepp?" She questioned in a delicate tone, knowing how sensitive the boy could be.

He simply shrugged, turning away without saying a word. His eyes gazed absently over the trees as he pulled his knees up, hugging them to his chest. He didn't feel like talking right now. To be honest, he never felt like talking.

"Jepp," The girl said softly, scooting slightly closer to her brother. "Can we talk?" When he shook his head, she sighed softly. "Well, can I have Björn back, then?

Golden eyes glanced at her before quickly skittering away, pulling his legs closer to himself. In his mind, he could feel Oliver trying to push his way through, but he held his ground. He was always pushed down, always treated like a small child, and it hurt him.

"Please, Jepp."

The boy shook his head slightly, not looking at Alice. "No," He said, his voice soft and meek, as if scared he would get yelled at for speaking any louder. "No, I want to be here. I'm always pushed aside. It isn't fair."

"And I understand that, but right now isn't a good time to-"

Her words were cut off with a gasp, her eyes going vacant as they stared off into nothing. Jepp quickly turned to look at her, his eyes slightly widened. It was a moment later that he was pushed back, another taking his place.

Blinking rapidly, the boy got his bearings before placing a hand on the girl's shoulder, a concerned look on his face. He was about to speak when Alice jumped slightly. Her eyes turned to her brother beside her, her brows furrowed as she tried to make sense of the vision.

"What is it?" Oliver's smooth voice rang out, the English accent coating his words. "What did you see, Alice?"

She blinked slowly, as if still processing everything she had seen. "A girl," Her voice was airy as she spoke, almost in a whisper. "A girl is coming to Forks...and she's going to change everything."

"Who? What girl?"

"Isabella Swan."