torn apart - shinsuke takasugi

takasugi x elite!reader

(Y/N) hated sitting formally in front of her father with her hair pulled back in a neat bun, her makeup done to perfection, and her kimono made from the finest materials. It made her feel like an elite, and although that was the title she had been given, she thought being all prim and proper was no fun. The only time she ever felt like herself was when she was pretending to attend kendo lessons across town, but really spending time with her favorite person –

"Are you listening to me, (Y/N)? Our conversation today will decide your future, so you can't afford to miss a single word," Her father cut through her thoughts with a sharp blade, instantly filling her with guilt.

Bowing her head, she said, "I apologize, Father."

She didn't dare try and make excuses, lest she have to stay any longer and endure a lecture. Instead, (Y/N) gave her father her full attention, hanging onto every word like a good daughter would. 

"You understand, now that you are eighteen, you must be married in order to carry on the Sasaki bloodline for future generations." It wasn't the first time she had heard this, so (Y/N) assumed she could postpone any arrangements once more. "And that is why, I have found you a suitor and arranged your marriage for this coming December."

What?

What did he just say?

The feeling as though water had been poured over her head encompassed (Y/N) as she stared at her father with wide eyes. She had always assumed she could choose her suitor, after all, that was the right her older brothers had. There was no way she was going to marry a man she didn't even know, let alone one she hadn't even met yet.

Desperately hoping she could find a way out of this, (Y/N) blurted out, "But what about my brothers? They're older than me, shouldn't they get married before me?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Her father scoffed, only furthering the sinking feeling in her stomach, "Your brothers are elites. They still have things they need to get done before they settle down."

"Then, why am I different?" (Y/N) had lost all sense of her earlier formality. Her polite tone was breaking into pure distress.

If she was stuck in an arranged marriage, she couldn't help but think about all of the freedoms she would lose. Her getaway kendo lessons would be gone, which meant she couldn't sneak away to see him, which meant she would be all alone again. (Y/N) didn't want to be alone again, stuck in the stupid Sasaki mansion, listening to her family prattle on about how important elites were.

She wanted to be there with him to watch the world burn.

"(Y/N), you know you are my only daughter. Your marriage will benefit the Sasaki clan and our title as elites."

That was the breaking point for her.

"Well, I don't want to be an elite anymore!"(Y/N) exclaimed, and she knew she was telling the truth. "I want to choose who I marry and when. I want to be who I want to be, not who this family wants me to be."

Her father's disapproving stare made her falter, and she nearly didn't stand up, only (Y/N) pushed past her fears and ripped the hair ornament she had been wearing off, throwing it in front of him. She turned around to leave, her shaking hands grabbing the edge of the sliding door, only for him to give her one last piece of his mind.

"You can never escape this family, or your duties here, daughter."

With hatred burning in her eyes, she turned and spoke to her father one last time. "I can try."

The second she left the room, shutting the door behind her quietly, tears formed in her eyes and spilled down her face. (Y/N) choked on a sob, moving forward, making her way through the Sasaki estate as quickly as she could. There was no doubt in her mind where she should go next – not her room, not her brothers, not even her kendo dojo. No, she left the estate and instantly went to the most wanted terrorist in all of Edo.

Shinsuke Takasugi was wanted by almost all of Edo for having fought against the Amanto in the war, and now actively trying to topple the country. His one goal was to destroy everything, but he had somehow managed to have a soft spot for an elite that acted like the furthest thing from an elite. Even if he was dealing with the retribution of his minor acts of terrorism, he always welcomed her in.

But, now, (Y/N) was doubting herself.

Her father's parting words had plagued her mind. If she could never escape her family, like he said, would she endanger Takasugi and his allies by going to them? She knew, if she lost them, she would feel as though she had nothing left.

As she walked through the back streets of Edo, her thoughts swirling and tears still falling, (Y/N) had half a mind to go back to the Sasaki estate, only to realize what a foolish idea that would be. Returning home would mean her father would win and she would lose her freedom, which was the last thing she wanted.

Wiping away her tears with the back of her hands, she continued on with a new resolve.

Even when the fear started settling in again when she reached the Kiheitai's ship, (Y/N) took a deep breath and walked on board. From there, her feet followed the same path she took every time to outside Takasugi's door. She rose one shaking hand formed into a fist, knocked on the door, and plead with some unseen force that he would answer.

Takasugi answered the door, relaxed as ever, until he saw who exactly was waiting for him. The concern that filled his visible eye was not unwarranted, as he couldn't remember a time when (Y/N) hadn't just thrown manners out the window and walked right in. Nor, could he ever recall seeing her eyes red from crying or her adorning clothes and makeup that would declare her an elite. He instantly knew something was wrong.

He was right, considering the second (Y/N) saw him, she grabbed onto the front of his kimono and began crying. Despite his aversion for physical affection, he still placed his hand on the small of her back in a comforting gesture and guided her into his room to stay away from any potential prying eyes.

If it was anyone else, Takasugi wouldn't have let them cry on him for as long as (Y/N) did. He waited until she was composed enough to ask her any questions for her current state.

"What happened?" Takasugi asked, in much softer voice than usual.

(Y/N) settled down next to him, and after apologizing quietly for getting his kimono all wet, she told him in a quiet voice, most unlike her usual one, "My father told me I'm going to be an arranged married, because, because it's for the benefit of the family." Her voice went back to more of her normal tone as she closed her eyes together, as if imagining the horrors of her fate, before a tint of vigor returned in her voice, "But I don't want to get married to someone I don't know. I don't want to get married anytime soon! I want to keep visiting you and not be stuck to some high society man that takes away my freedoms."

A couple more tears trailed down her face when she finished speaking, but Takasugi wiped them away. He met her eyes and said, "I should tell you this now, then. You, (Y/N) Sasaki, are an important piece in my plans to destroy this world. It would create conflict amongst the elites if you were to go missing, and that is exactly what I plan to do."

Honestly, (Y/N) shouldn't have sounded so happy when she said, "You're going to kidnap me?"

"Precisely," Takasugi said, leaning back on his hand. "Although I wasn't planning on telling you first."

"It's alright! I'm glad you need me to stay here. I'll stay as long as you want or even longer than that!" (Y/N) reassured. She sat back and smiled as though she could overcome anything.

"Most people don't react like this when they're told they're being kidnapped," Takasugi said moderately.

"Well, most people aren't being kidnapped by you!"

"I still don't believe that's a good thing."

(Y/N) wrapped her arms around his torso in a hug, causing him to lose his balance, and for them to both fall back. As she held onto him, she whispered, "Believe me, it's a really, really good thing."