day by day - shoyo yoshida

Sunday

"Hey, do you guys think there's something going on between Shoyo and (Y/N)-sensei?" Gintoki asked Takasugi and Katsura one afternoon after a round of sparring, as they snacked on rice balls. It had been in the back of the silver haired boys mind for a while now, so asking this wasn't completely out of the blue.

"They do spend a lot of time together," Katsura agreed, kicking his legs back and forth over the side of where they were sitting.

Takasugi wiped a stray piece of rice away from his mouth with his sleeve and said, "They act like our parents all the time, too. Gintoki, you've known them longer, have they ever done anything like a couple would do?"

"When I met them, (Y/N)-sensei and Shoyo already knew each other, but they've never even held hands around me." Gintoki was silent for a moment, munching on his rice ball before finishing it off. "We should spy on them."

Although it wasn't the best plan, all three of them agreed on it. The three boys snuck through the dojo, as quiet as Shoyo was when he appeared behind them, and eventually found their two teachers in the kitchen, preparing dinner together. Neither (Y/N) nor Shoyo noticed the boys as they peeked their head around the doorframe, watching the two interact and waiting for a hint or a clue as to if the two were romantically interested in each other.

"Do you think the kids will be mad that we're having hot pot again tonight?" (Y/N) asked as she cut up the cabbage to be added into the half-filled pot on the stove. Her knife strokes were careful, even as she took her eyes off the ingredient to glance over at her companion, who was diligently stirring the broth.

Shoyo gave her a smile, "I'm not sick of it yet, so I doubt they will be."

The sleeve of his yukata was a little too close to the flame for (Y/N)'s liking, so she set aside her knife and reached over, fixing his sleeves so they wouldn't catch on fire. As she did so, Shoyo looked down on her with a look of such endearment that there was no way Gintoki was wrong – it was clear, in the moments they thought each other weren't looking, that the degree of affection they held for the other was infinitely high.

"Thank you, (Y/N)," Shoyo said softly.

"I wouldn't want you to be burned," (Y/N) said simply as she returned to her task.

After that scene, the three students back away from the kitchen and met up a far enough distance away that they wouldn't be overheard. The first words out of their mouths proved they had all come to the same conclusion; there was no denying it, this family that had bloomed from five lost people with different blood but the same feelings.

Monday

On a sunny afternoon, the makeshift family decided to go out on an outing to the nearby market. While the boys circled around Shoyo like stray dogs, trying to convince him to buy them one treat or the other, (Y/N) was further down the street, picking out the vegetables for that night's dinner. She put more effort into her decisions simply because she wasn't just feeding herself anymore, but the ones she cared about most.

When she was done, she turned away with a bag in hand, intending to return to her family's side, only to be stopped by a passing samurai, who unbeknownst to her, had been eyeing her for a while. The second he tried to make conversation, Shoyo paused his playful argument with the boys and turned to see what was happening.

"Excuse me, ma'am, but I haven't seen you around here before," the samurai said with a cocky smirk on his face.

(Y/N) gave him a polite smile and said, "Then, perhaps, you are blind, because I've been here for quite some time now."