Ch. 1: Strike One

((Revized 10/25/22
ෆ⃝⃟⃟*┆

Just outside the kitchen windows was a lovely bed of white thorned roses. They swayed in the wind. They were so elagant till the nights grew colder. Evey single one of them wilted over now, a reminded of your own situation. Struggling to work and bloom out like those dying buds.

Perhaps you where decaying the same. Trapped in these elegant gold trimmed walls, always being watched. It was becoming unbearable. Tending to so many chores more the most of the time left you clumsy and aching. You'd be scolded and most likely sucked dry if you even so much as misplaced a rag.

With the threat of death hanging over your neatly kept hair. Not even at night could you afford to relax, and let your composer down. The last time you where caught off guard...the thought alone of what they did left you shiviring. Those good for nothing, giggling and mocking beast! Lady Cassandra had it out for you the most. Despite your busy scedhule she would muffle your screams and play terrifying games. If you dare to tell or complain...Well Lady Dimitrescu was sure to have your head.. Right?

This is what you told yourself as you fixed up your employer and her daughters plates. Ugh! It took you two whole weeks to not gag or vomit as you prepared their meals. Blood and organs did not let off a pleasing smell, as most would asume. Sadly you and the other staff were the unlucky ones to find out. Shuddering you hurridly made a dash to the sink, lathering your brusied hands in herb scented soap. It was more easy on the nose, that's for sure.

Washing it away once more, you swipe your damp hands across the beautiful lace apron that tied into a nice notted bow, at the back of your percale and plain gown. Disappointingly, your outfits aren't the most eye catching. At least your mistress was kind enough to give you a pretty white cap and cuffs with the dress. Hell, your loyalty wont be bought over with additional fabrics and such!

Grumpily you arranged the dishes onto a tray covering it with a metal Cloche. Making sure not to forget the blood red wine, you gracefully make your way out the kitchen door and toward the dining room. Nearing the Table you hisatated a moment. the three vampirous daughtets gastly conversation, left you unwilling to serve.

In fact, it was your first time even being in the dining room. To give out the fare, that is. It was usually Everly, a fellow maids duty to do it. However, she was not seen since her outrageous disrespect towards Bela, the oldest and fairest of the "playful" girls. Perhaps she was the one screaming from the basement...

Histantly, you walked over bowing your head in a polite gesture. The whole time you sat out the dinner you could feel those yellow piercing eyes on you. Lady Dimitrescu was a glorious, beautiful woman. She wore curve hugging dresses with ever so simple yet pretty details. Her chest was something you mostly certainly did not want to be caught glimpsing at. You found her to be quite the temptress rather her alluring nature was on purpose or not.

Oh, and was she ever so tall. Looking over you while you worked. Waiting for a slip, one mistake. It left you shuddering both in fear and perhaps misplaced...curiosity? Who would be insane enough to have such thoughts for this blood sucker-! Alcina was looking right at you. Eyebrows furrowed and hands clenched.

Only this isn't some fantasy, she would kill you.

No no.. No! This couldn't be happening! Hands trembling you practically throw yourself at the head of the castle. Snatching up the once perfectly folded napkins, sending forks and knives bouncing and sliding across the table. Rubbing and dabbing, desperate to remove the red stain. It only seemed to worsen as it only worsened. The puddle resembled a sea of death over Lady Dimitrescu's dress.

A hush fell over the dinning room.

Tears welled up from under your eyes threatening to fall. You felt the familiar sting of regret and shame mixed in with absolute terror. Seeing the chair shift and a low squeek as it dragged backwards, She got up. Mustering up enough courage you quickly stood taller clenching the dirtier cloths. Whipping at your eyes you spoke.

"My sincerest apologies my lady! It wasn't my intentions...I won't make the same mistake. I'll-", you pushed the words out of your throat choking up suddenly when you feel a hard squeeze at your shoulder. Lady Dimitrescu glared yanking you toward her towering figure. Just like a rat caught in a trap, you'd squeel and look up alarmed.

Did she seem amused a moment or did you imagine it?

"look what you've done. Incompetent... Clean this mess up right away.", she would command with a grace only one of her stature could posses.

" This is your only warning... Don't make another mistake pet.", she smirked tracing a nail down the nape of your neck. A jolt ran up your back causing your heart to race. There was that damned name again. It was carnivorous. It was...Stimulating. It made you want to hide away from the paled witch that pushed past you with such wicked grace in her step. That little name had been haunting you from the start of your service for the Dimitrescu house. It made you feel collard and under the control of that woman.

Not that itwould be utterly unwelcomed.

Hurring over to the ruined table covering and now dirtied floor you quickly gathered Alcina's dish and wine glass, perhaps you'd have to mop this time. As you worked, you ignored the taunting insect like girls behind you as they finished up.

It's easier to imagine it's a pea that's been flicked at you, rather than something grotesque.

Besides, You where too busy scrubbing away the wine with your flushed and quite literally pounding heart. You couldn't afford to have your head up in the clouds...Not in this castle. Not with her around.

_____________________________________

Word Count; 1028

Leave suggestions, request, or criticism in the comments. Thank you for reading!