Chapter 27: The Beta's Loyalty

It is afternoon of the day they left by the time Castor, Heidi and Layla finally stop to catch their breath. Castor bows low in his wolf form, allowing Layla to climb from his back. She grins at him and ruffles the fur atop his head. "Thanks for the ride," she laughs.

Castor snorts in his wolf form and, within seconds, he is back to his normal self. He scowls at her. "This is not going to be a normal thing, I warn you."

Layla rolls her eyes. "Poor me. I'll really miss sore legs and muck getting kicked up into my face as you run."

"You loved it," Castor smirks.

Layla simply shrugs, hugging her arms to her chest as Heidi Changes back and Castor pulls his phone from his pocket. He scrolls to find Nina's contact and shoots her a quick message.

Hey, you at the Maguire's?

He waits for a moment, willing his phone to flash and to see Nina's name. He has no such luck. No response. Not even a read of his message.

Castor frowns, trying to push down his rising worry. There is no way Hellstrider will reach Nina before they do. No way he will reach her before she finds the Maguires.

Heidi takes one look at Castor, at the phone in his hand, and sighs. "No response?" At his befuddled looks, she adds, "I'm worried about her too."

Layla flops onto the ground, arms outstretched behind her as she leans back on them. "So am I. But Nina is strong. She's fierce. She'll be okay. She's probably at the Maguires now, safe and sound, and getting to know them." She looks at Castor. "It's rather rude to go on your phone when someone has offered you their home as a safe haven, you know."

Castor nods, but still that worry claws at his heart, leaving little pinpricks of blood at the thought that Nina could be lying dead in a ditch somewhere. "Alright," he says slowly, and sits down on the ground beside Layla, taking her hand. Her touch sends waves of warmth and comfort through him. "I just... Let's not rest for long, okay?"

"I'm gonna Change back," Heidi says. "You two stay here, make camp for the rest of the day. I'll run further on in that direction," she nods forward, "Scout out how long we'll have to run tomorrow before the next pit stop."

Castor's eyes widen. "Another pit stop? Heidi, we don't have time."

Gently, Heidi says, "You are no good to Nina without complete focus, Castor. We're all tired, and no doubt we'll feel the same tomorrow." Heidi turns to Layla. "I won't be long. You have your Blade?"

Layla taps two fingers on the hilt at her hip. "Of course." She twists her head to look at Castor and grins. "Don't worry. I'll protect you now that the big scary Alpha is leaving us," she says, and Heidi bursts into laughter. Layla shoots her a wide smile, and with that, Heidi Changes back into her wolf form and is gone in a flash, dashing out of sight.

Castor folds his arms and screws up his nose at Layla. "I'm capable of protecting myself, you know."

Layla leans forward, a breath away. "So you don't want me to protect you?" Her eyes flicker down to his mouth.

Castor's heart beats fast. It is so rare that they are alone these days without some kind of interruption, just due to bad luck or because of the arrival of doom-threatening news. He smiles as he pulls Layla onto his lap, her legs framing his hips, faces almost touching. The smirk is wiped from Layla's face as they stare at one another, the moment thick with something indiscernible. Not even love. Something stronger than that. The feeling of safety in someone's arms. The feeling of looking at someone and seeing your entire future in their eyes.

Castor strokes her cheek with the side of his finger, feather light. "There is no one I would rather protect me than you."

"Well, isn't it lucky you're stuck with me?" Layla gibes.