Chapter 15: Sanctuary

Market stalls line the streets of Thenla and the scent of nutmeg and honeysuckle fills Nina up as she saunters inconspicuously by the sellers and barterers, who shout as she brushes by. Her hood is up and her light brown hair is tucked underneath it, her clothes dull and grey. The perfect image of subtlety. Nobody would suspect she is a werewolf estranged from her pack, and the daughter of its ruthless Alpha, who she cannot let word get back to that she is here all alone.

"Lady, buy these spices! One time only bargain!" One stall owner yells in her ear as she slides by.

"No, thank you," she mumbles, and ploughs on.

The hustle and bustle of this place is new to Nina. Living in Ropnen all of her life, she has been used to mere silence and the occasional scream from an Unfortunate. In Ropnen, fires roar and people cry; but here in Thenla, the crowd roars, with nothing but laughter and goodwill.  She cannot afford to get caught up in it - there will be time for exploring later.

In the middle of the city lies Thenla's Guild, the Venustas Guild, a beautiful white marble building that towers over them all and puts Tergaron's Tenebris Guild to shame. Two Blade Wielders are by the entrance as usual, to ward off any mortals with lies about dangerous construction work, haunted beings, or bloody murders involving the Guild. The guards narrow their eyes at her when she stops in front of them, knocking her hood back.

"Can we help you?" One asks.

"Yes. My name is Rosie Burwell," Nina lies. She looks around to see if anyone else can hear her, then under her breath, she says, "I am a werewolf from Tergaron seeking sanctuary."

Magiworld law states that no Guild of any country is to turn away a magical being who is in dire need of assistance. All it will take is for the guards to give her the once over, take in her bedraggled state from travelling, and allow her inside.

The two Wielders exchange a look with each other. Finally, one says, "Are you carrying any identification, Miss?"

Nina feigns sadness, taking advantage of the hole in the pocket of her hoodie by tucking two fingers through it dramatically. "I have been travelling for about a week," Nina says. Again, another lie, she has only been travelling for 4 days. "I was mugged by some vampires and my identification was taken," she lies once more.

The Wielder raises an eyebrow. "How are we to know you are who you say you are?"

Nina crosses her arms, tapping her foot. "How am I to know you are not just being prejudice and turning away someone who is in clear need of assistance?"

The Wielder's friend's mouth quirks upwards. The Wielder in question begins to stutter apologies, and Nina bites down a smile. He unlocks the door and sweeps an arm forward. "Right this way, Miss Burwell."

The Venustas Guild is just as remarkable inside as it is outside. Thenla is clearly a city renowned for its culture. Stained glass windows fill each wall of the corridor leading to the main hall, and the polished marble ceiling rises above them in the shape of a dome. Nina blinks and then blinks again - this is nothing like the Viribus Guild back in Ropnen, with its shabby structure and untidy interior.

The two Wielders lead her into the hall, where the 3 Deans of the Guild are passionately discussing something at a table. Their heads lift when they see her with the guards. "What is the meaning of this?" The Dean sat in the centre of the table asks.

"Dean Casey," the first guard says, bowing to her. "Dean Gonzales, Dean Wu."

They do not look impressed.

The other guard beckons Nina forward. Nina tucks her hair behind her ears and approaches the table. "Ma'am," she says politely, staring at Dean Casey, "My name is Rosie Burwell, a werewolf from Tergaron. I am seeking sanctuary for the night - some warmth, food, and a bed to sleep in. And the use of your library, if you would be so kind."