Chapter 33: Snap

'Do not say you love me. You've made it abundantly clear that you don't.'

Those are the words that have been playing on repeat in Jens' head for the past few days. He has not heard from Lewis since he stormed out with that final statement. He's sent messages, called, left voicemails, but it is like Lewis has dropped off the face of the earth. He told Jens not to bother him until he saw sense, but Jens thought maybe after a day for him to cool off and some space between them both might make things better. And yet... Nothing. The only contact he has had with anyone in the past few days is the werewolf messenger that dropped off the poison Jens requested of Rak from Ropnen.

On the morning of Nytco March's execution, he wakes with a pit of dread in his chest. A general, heavy feeling of wrongness settles over him. Lewis told him not to go through with this plan, but he is still going to anyway. For Lewis' own good. What does that make Jens?  Loving? Courageous? Does it simply just make him selfish because he cannot brave the idea of losing the only person he has found himself loving since Arthur to dark magic? He can prevent that from happening by forcing Nytco to talk. Lewis will thank him for it, in time. But that is not why he is doing it. He is not doing it for gratitude.

You do the things that seem the most impossible in this world only when you care about someone so deeply, so completely, that you are willing to conquer every obstacle and every feat, just to see them on the other side, safe and sound and smiling.

That's what he has to tell himself in order to find the strength to crawl out of bed, put on his clothes, some sturdy shoes, and walk to The Tenebris Guild to meet Raun half an hour before Nycto is supposed to be getting led to his death.

Outside the Tenebris Guild, Raun is sitting on a bench, whistling and dragging fingers through his red hair. When he sees Jens approaching, he jumps to his feet, plastering his signature cheeky grin onto his face.  Jens is not so easily fooled. Raun is risking a lot by being here to help him today. They are both betraying people that they love in order to see that the right thing gets done. Even if the right thing involves breaking a sociopath out of prison.

"Ready to do this?" Raun asks him, eyes gleaming with mischief. If Jens cannot count on Raun's desire to do good, at least he can count on his desire to make trouble.

Jens glances down at a watch on his wrist which he has not worn for years. It belonged to Layla's father, one of the best men he ever knew. Would that he could be with Jens today. He would understand why Jens has to do this. He'd even help. Back in the day, Jens and Arthur got into all sorts of tussles. Arthur was his best friend. Until, suddenly, he was something more. Until, suddenly, Jens had to leave him behind. Until, suddenly... he was nothing at all.

"Two minutes. Listen closley." Years ago, when Jens was a Blade Wielder and before he picked the branch of the mages, he witnessed more than one execution of a prisoner. The Deans would always sound some kind of alarm to alert people to make their way to the courtyard outside the Guild where the executions take place. When Raun hears that alarm through the double doors with his werewolf hearing, that is when all the Wielders except those who will be escorting Nycto to his death will make their way outside. Then, and only then, will they be able to slip inside.

They wait patiently. Raun looks at Jens and cocks his head to the side, examining him. "You alright, Jens?"

"Perfect." It comes out brusque and terse. He is so tired. He slides his phone out of his pocket as they wait and sighs, frowning. No calls. No texts. Lewis is pissed. Can Jens even really blame him?

"I've been thinking about it," Raun says slowly, "And despite everything I said the other day... despite all my doubts... I think we're doing the right thing." He smiles at Jens sheepishly. "Nycto knows things. It's only fair that we ought to know them too. For the good of everyone."