CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

"Milaya," The voice repeated and Liliya turned her head. There he was. General Aleksander Kirigan. His hands rested at his sides, an almost imperceptible frown on his lips. A small smile spread across her face as she watched his face. It was blurry and her tears were still falling but he was there and they were alive.

"She poisoned me. I killed her," Liliya said, gesturing vaguely before she stared down at the floor again. Kirigan's eyes widened at her words and he held a hand out to her. She didn't notice so he stepped closer.

"Milaya. Come with me," Kirigan said. Liliya shook her head and reached out for the spade. Her fingers trembling as she picked it up. She then began to shovel the dirt into the hole again. Covering Polina, removing her. She just had to keep them away. Block out the memory but it felt like it would never go away. The image of her hands gripping Polina's throat. It wouldn't go anywhere. All the people she had killed had been haunting her. Every moment and now she didn't know what to do.

Then the shovel was pried from her fingertips and her head shot up. Staring at Kirigan who threw the shovel. He then held his hand out and Liliya took it. Her bloody and muddy fingers colliding with his clean hand. He was so clean. He helped haul her to her feet and she just stared up at him. Her hands sliding across his kefta up to his face. Her fingers gripping his jaw. A part of her felt like she was merely dreaming.

"General Zlatan. He... he wanted to kill me," Liliya muttered softly but Kirigan simply shook his head. His hand hooking around her waist and pulling her closer. He then pressed a soft kiss to her lips. His soft lips colliding with her chapped and slightly bloody ones. It was short, sweet but it gave her the reassurance she needed. He was there and they were fine.

Her fingers moved to his hair and she pushed through the locks. Enjoying the feeling of his hair against her skin. Her head falling against his chest as a sob escaped her lips. Her whole body shaking and she felt like collapsing into him. Her knees close to giving in as she grabbed a hold of him. Her whole body felt weak.

Then Kirigan pulled her up into his arms. He pressed a soft kiss to her temple before he began to walk away from the hole. He was heading towards town but Liliya knew that they were not going towards the inn. Her body trying to react, make him stop but she knew that no physical movement would stop him.

"The inn... the Sun Summoner. He's... he's in the bed, please. I need to see him," Liliya mumbled softly. Her hand falling to his shoulder, reaching out for his jaw again. Kirigan sighed and glanced around before he spotted Roma. The man was walking amongst the trees and then he saw the pair. He winced at the sight of Liliya before walking over.

"The inn where she is staying. The Sun Summoner is there. Collect him and bring him to where we are staying. Lord Yanovich will be happy to accomodate," Kirigan said. Roma nodded and then glanced at Liliya once more before disappearing. Liliya recognised the name but still found her eyebrows pulling togther. She didn't realise that Yanovich was around. She wouldn't have pickpocketed if she knew that a noble - her friend - was not far from her.