Part 9

Timo

"I thought you were really pretty that night at the restaurant," I told Bianca.

"Then why were you so upset when I asked for your number?"

"I don't like it when strange women come onto me."

"So, you just admire strange women from afar?"

"Something like that."

"That night in the restaurant—" Bianca broke off. I think she wanted to pry into my personal life, but now that we were on the subject, and she had as perfect an opening to ask questions as she was ever likely to get, she hesitated.

"What about that night?" I asked.

I'd started out on the opposite end of the twelve-foot pool, but I'd somehow crept over during our conversation, and I was now so close to Bianca, I could have reached out to touch the drops of water running down her neck. They glistened in the moonlight, and I found my mind wandering. Evidently, Bianca was having the same trouble because she didn't answer my question.

"What about that night?" I repeated.

"You mentioned that I reminded you of someone."

"Well, you don't remind me of her now."

"Who was she?"

Bianca had reminded me of Misha. Thinking about Misha never failed to send me into a dark spiral downward. I didn't want to think about Misha. I didn't want to talk about her. All I wanted to do was find out what Bianca's lips felt like.

I inched over closer. I'd missed the opportunity to kiss Bianca earlier as we sat on the park bench eating ice cream. I didn't intend to let this second chance pass me by.

"Listen," Bianca said, moving away from me slightly until her back was against the wall of the pool. "Let's not let things get complicated."

"Why do things have to get complicated?"

"You work for my family."

I was sure that wasn't the real reason Bianca didn't think even a comparatively innocent no-strings-attached kiss was a good idea, but I wasn't sure what the real reason was.

"So?" I said. "I work for your brother. I don't work for you. I really don't see a problem."

"I'm not into casual—"

"I'm not either."

"And that's a problem."

"I'm very confused," I said as I retreated to the other side of the pool.

I don't believe in getting aggressive. I respect women, and this woman was clearly not into kissing me, at least not at this present moment in time. On the park bench earlier, I was sure I'd seen disappointment on her face when I'd pulled away at the last second.

But now Bianca was clearly saying no, and I'd just have to take no for an answer.

"It's just that you are too good to waste on someone like me," Bianca said.

"I'd have thought the situation was the other way around. What exactly makes me so superior to you?"

Bianca

I didn't want to get into why I thought Timo was too good to waste on a woman like me. I was too scared to fall in love with someone who I knew from the start I'd have to let go. Timo was definitely marriage material, and he struck me as very serious-minded. I doubted he had it in him to keep things casual.

Not keeping things casual with Timo would only lead to sadness in the end. Based on Timo's career choice and personality, he'd definitely want kids and marriage to a woman who didn't work sixty hours a week. We couldn't be more wrong for each other, but I couldn't bring myself to say that out loud.