Part 21

Bianca

I tried not to be obvious about it, but all day Thursday, I couldn't concentrate on anything but Rebecca St. Claire. Not only did I suspect her of being party to Chad's underhanded dealings, I also couldn't help wondering if she and Chad were carrying on an affair.

Technically, since Chad and I were no longer together, it would no longer count as an affair, but if Rebecca and Chad were together, it was realistic to assume their relationship had been going on for as long as their fraud scheme had, which meant it would have been going on while Chad and I were still together.

I'd figured out that Rebecca was in the habit of leaving work promptly at five to go to a gym down the street, and that afternoon I couldn't resist tailing her.

I gathered up my laptop and a bag containing workout clothes and lurked just inside my office door with one eye on the elevator. As soon as Rebecca paused in front of the closed doors of the elevator, I was right there at her elbow.

"How was your day?" I said.

"Good."

"Have any fun plans for the evening?"

"Not really. Just going to the gym as usual."

"Me, too," I said. "Just joined a gym. Getting a little pudgy around the middle."

Rebecca didn't seem awfully interested in my new fitness plan or my pudgy middle until I told her which gym I'd joined.

"That's my gym," she said.

"That's great," I said. "We can be workout buddies."

This prospect appeared less than pleasing to Rebecca. It seemed she was not excited about becoming my new workout buddy.

Somewhere between our building in the gym, I lost Rebecca. She drove. I walked.

At the gym, I craned my neck around while I was getting photographed for my new gym ID, which I'd probably never use again, but I didn't see her anywhere. I wondered if she'd ditched me and gone straight home.

On my way to the locker room to change into my workout clothes, I ran smack dab into Timo.

I started to ask him what he was doing there. I was pretty sure he was supposed to be at Rob and Camille's taking care of my nieces and nephews.

"Shh!" he said, putting his finger to his lips.

I shushed.

Timo opened the door to the janitor's closet next to the ladies' locker room and gently pushed me inside.

This was my second time in a closet with Timo, and I couldn't say I was any less aware of just how close together we were the second time around.

However, Timo was all business.

"I'm here to chat up Rebecca," he said.

"My employee Rebecca? From billing?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"She's probably the one who's in league with Chad, right?"

"Rob told you that?"

Timo nodded.

"That's why I'm here, too."

"To chat up Rebecca? I have reason to believe I'm more her type?"

"You already met her?"

"On the treadmill."

"And you're convinced you're her type?"