Chelsea: A strong young woman with nothing to lose and nowhere to go

Nyxn slowly followed the the humans, lying as much attention to the environment as the jabbering of the old man who had plenty to say.

"After washing up on shore we found this abandoned town here on the island. We were on that ship in search of a new beginning and you don't get quite as new as this," Taro chuckled as he led them down an old cobblestone path, passing sad, broken-down buildings as they went. Their wood was dark with rot and most of the buildings looked like a good blow could cause their collapse.

She wondered how long they'd been awake. He already knew the place by heart but they'd only just been washed ashore? How curious. Was he a threat?

"I think that this would be a great place for us to set up our business. We're something like a family-run shipping or transport company." Taro explained with a kind smile cast her way. "But of course, we need something to ship if we're going to have our business here." 

Nyxn smiled despite the empty pit that openers up in her chest. Please don't.

"Gramps," Elliot started, voice timid as they came to a stop in front of a slightly less depressing structure that might have once been a house. "I'm not so sure this is such a good idea," 

"What does this have to do with me?" Nyxn glanced over at the man, ignoring the boy as he mumbled. There was no way in hell she was to be dragged into work for a family doomed for failure. Having a purpose in life would be nice and all, but being a grunt wasn't exactly what she had in mind to keep herself busy with. She wanted to get this conversation over with.

She was hungry for a hunt.

"Ah, but wait. I haven't gotten to you yet. You see, you're the key to the success of this island. If you can get the economy flowing into this little place, we could entirely vrevive this island. We could start an entirely new town." 

"That could take years," the young man squeaked, earning a less than impressed look from his sister. The boy wasn't wrong though. Aside from years it could take decades. Humans don't flee a place for no reason and this island was very much abandoned.

"Hush, Elliot. " Taro waved his grandson off. "You worry too much, you'll see," 

Nyxn sighed, skeptical as she followed the old man further into the open maws of the island.
"This is where you are the key to our success. You'd be the heartbeat of the community," Taro said as they came around a bend, the cobblestone turning to dirt. Nyxn frowned when they came to a stop, a large clearing opening up ahead of them. There was a questionable stable just ahead, a house a ways off to the side, and something else behind the run-down stable. It was probably a homestead sometime in the past. "I think it would be perfect for you. A strong young woman with nothing to lose and nowhere to go could make quite a living here. You could turn this place into a real running ranch," 

No where to go and nothing to lose?

Elliot, Natalie, and Nyxn all frowned at the man. "Oh my word, Gramps. You can't just say that! you have no idea what she has going on in her life. Why should she stay? I don't want to stay. I wouldn't stay just because someone told me I have no life so I might as well become a farmer," Natalie hissed at her Grandfather.

Nyxn would be amused if she wasn't already disturbed by the told man. He was annoying, but not wrong per se.

"I'm not wrong. So what is it, Chelsea? Are you up for the challenge?" Taro looked up at Nyxn expectantly while she stared down at the old man. 

Was an ancient immortal creature really willing to settle down to have a domestic life as a farmer in the middle of nowhere on an abandoned island all because of a demanding and optimistic old man?

Humans were so.... Stupid.

A/N: This story was originally written in iPhone notes. the chapters might wildly change in size. This is a fairly brief chapter overall with detail as well, sorry about that.