Epilogue - Part 2

The roar of the air is deafening me as I fly at incredible speeds after those that took my beautiful Mira, but it's not nearly enough. The vehicles that aunty Rim'in spoke of must be similar to the cargo freight I rode in. I could not even see their trail of energy on the road, but luckily for me I knew where they headed. I rush as fast as I could and as powerful as I am it took me almost two entire days of riding non-stop to arrive in Mah'ator, the sky city, as it is aptly called by its denizens.

The great shadow of the city loomed over the Eternal Valley, flanked by two giants Am'on and Am'an, sister mountains named after the first awakened Abu'll'gah after the Great Father. I look at their mighty peaks and my gaze washes over the valley from high afar. I use my power to enhance my vision and zoom in on a naked patch right below the city. From a large clearing a beam of dim light pours down. People gather at the base of the light column and after moments of waiting they float gently along with their heavy belongings up towards the entrance of the floating city of Mah'ator. The base of the city is pure metal inlaid with levitating crystals the size of hills the opalescens of which competes even with the sun.

The ones going to the city are trusted merchants, the only type of lowblood that are allowed to enter the cities of the highbloods. Of course, they are carefully selected, one defining character is their pale skin. To highbloods, tanned skin is a sin, a curse, a disease brought upon us by the Great Father for going against his love, but I called it adaptation. While some of us are still born with pale skin, like myself, Mira, and Volo, most of us lowbloods are tanned right from birth or their skin turns tan during their first puberty at just fifty cycles. Very few lowbloods remain pale skinned. Were it not for the shade of my skin I would not have been able to compete in the trials and earn the favor of .... I can't even bring myself to say his name I once worshiped.

I look at the paper in my hand and crumple it into a ball in anger, then sanity quickly washes over me. I use my power to smooth out the paper and tuck it neatly in an under pocket.

The rashes across my body had spread and began to flake away in disgusting thin sheets of skin, revealing a raw purple layer behind. I pick my scabs from anxiety until they are sore but I pay no attention to the self inflicted pain. There is only one thing on mind and that is Mira.

I am sure that the worst is yet to come. Only the Great Father knows what horrible torturous things she will be subject to once she arrives to the Great Command, that betraying fatherless offspring of a maggot. I tighten my jaw as I blame myself for trusting him.

I pull materials from the surrounding plants and trees that surround me, taking the thin fibers and weaving them together into a muddy gray cloak. I wrap it around myself to cover my rashes so I don't look like a pubescent lowblood.

I make my way through the thick green forest until I arrive at a paved road where merchants lazily push their wooden carts with their blessing. The sun's heavy rays reflected heavily off the paved road making the air suffocating.

With my hasty stride I outwalk past the merchants whose faces were not joyful. They know how humiliating it was to be a lowblood in a highblood city, but they have no choice. When envoys enter a lowblood settlement the beautiful of their kind are taken for the honor of Yeva'Ahs and those that lack certain features deemed beautiful by them are either sponsored as champions of the Trials or merchants, this later subdivision depending solely on the amount of power one had.

When the first envoy came to Al'mh'al they chose me as a Champion and Volo as a merchant, Mira at that time was too young, just that year reaching her fourtififth brith celebration. We thought ourselves lucky, a settlement only receives an envoy every hundred of cycles or so, we thought we had enough time to raise an offspring of our own and, even if she remained a pale skin, she would have been tarnished in the eyes of highbloods, or at least get ourselves away from a settlement.