Chapter 11 - Part 3

"I can't believe I slept through all that!" Mare slumped in his chair stuffing a sweet bun in his mouth.

"You're pretty deaf" Haidend added.

"What did you say?" Maree joked. Haiden laughed but in the end he wished he had some support back then, maybe things would have went differently if Camila and Mare were there from the start. But he didn't blame them.

"What would you have done anyways." Camila rolled her eyes.

"Sit and watch the show, of course." This earned Marree a slap on the arm from Camila. "Ouch! That hurt!"

"Good." she shoveled a spoon of thick stew with an unknown but delicious meat. "I can't believe that fuckface knows such advanced spells." she said while chewing.

"Yeah, Master Rwoy said that everyone here had tutors."

"Sure did." Camila confirmed. "But no one's really supposed to take them seriously."

"I used to bribe mine with a few coins and dropped him off in the kitchen. Ah, good times." Maree looked like he was reminiscing somee mischief from when he was young. Camila nodded and laughed.

"My tutor preferred to read books. She's the one who introduced me to this!" Camila dug through her bag and held up one of her indecent books. "I owe her so much, too bad all we did was read instead of training. Maybe I would have been able to handle standard spells by now, but all I cared about was a bit of control and finding out if Faric would ever get back with Ianna after she betrayed him with his twin brother."

The more he got to know his friends the bigger the gap grew between them. They were raised with a silver spoon, Haiden didn't even know if he had a bed and a warm meal every night.

"You're so lucky." he said under his breath, luckily they didn't hear him. "So, what do we do now? I don't think I can beat Bras." he confessed.

"You have enough Fios as an entire battalion and you didn't even have to practice much to pass the evaluation. Unlike someone we know." Camila added in a whisper. But little did they know that he had devoured every book that he put his hands on. He might have innate abilities like his empathy that allowed him to better understand how to Wield but he believed his dedication was what made him a better Wielder than his fellow students.

"Hey!" Maree gave her a deathly stare, luckily next week his torture will end." This was his last lunch together with his friends. After Today, lunch will become a revision class.

"You'll be fine, Maree. Second time's the charm." Haiden smiled at his friend to reassure him, but this somehow irritated Maree even more.

"Of course!" he said and turned his attention to his food.

"I need to figure something out by..." Haiden trailed off.

"End of summer. It marks the day the Sisters begin their alignment that culminates on the End Cycle." Camila clued him in.

"Right... but how?"

"I don't know. Doing their moon thing or something." Camila looked confused at Haiden.

"No! Getting ready to fight Bras!" He took a big gulp of plumpberywine, and sighed. Haiden had rotting fruit more alcoholic than this, but it was sweet and refreshing.

"Why don't we look at the library for any books on Standard spells?" Maree suggested. He poked the unknown meat around his plate, only eating the vegetables.

"We won't find anything beyond Minor spells." Haiden replied.

"How do you know?"

"I went through all they have on Minor spells the first few weeks I was here, Cams. Then after I couldn't find anything more advanced I started reading some weird ass books on strange facts." He reminisced about his time with Tasgal in the infirmary. He thought about him. He wondered where the Ash'en cadet was? What was he doing? Why was he avoiding him? No answer came to him, but a daunting thought that maybe Tasgal was avoiding Haiden because of what Bras had said about him being a Yeva'Ah. He pushed the thought away and made plans to go by the training pit and look for him.