Smoke

This chapter is for thanking @pissywissyslimdissy for being the first reader to be active and vocal throughout the book :)

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

"What the hell?" Morgan asks looking out the window. Three large fire trucks speed next to us on the sidewalk causing Morgan to look over at me.

"Drive!" I yell just as he hops onto the sidewalk and puts on a siren.

We drive behind the fire trucks and stop, making the car screech. We jump out of the car and see my building on fire. Firefighters work on getting the fire out while others are pouring out of the building. I cover my mouth with my hand, not believing what I'm seeing. I run towards the building but get held back by Morgan's strong hold. I look back at him to see his mouth still ajar.

(Play Song)

"Morgan let go!" I yell. His hand lingers before he he lets go.

"Fine but I'm coming with." He says before we run towards the burning building. I take out my badge and show the firefighters.

"Ma'am it's dangerous." One says but I grab a fire extinguisher before running inside. I run up the stairs banging on doors that are still closed. Screaming grabs my attention causing me to bolt up the stairs.

"Isla!" I hear Morgan yell. I look down the stairs and cover my nose with my arm.

"Get people out!" I yell before running up the stairs. I escort people down the stairs to the firefighters as I keep going up the stairs. Once I make it to my apartment a figure lurks inside. I cough lowly and reach for my gun. I take small steps but the smoke from the fire enters my lungs, causing me to cough. The person whips around and stares at me.

"Joshua?!" I yell over the crumbling wood. The figure reaches for their gun and puts its under their chin.

"No! No!" I yell trying to run through the flames, but I was too late. The boom of the bullet exiting the gun rings in my ears. The body plumells to the floor, lifeless.

Damn it.

"Isla! Isla?!" Morgan's voice yells.

"I'm okay!" I yell back trying to jump over the flames. Once I do I pat my burning clothes free of the flames and take off the mask the lifeless person was wearing. A white man with black hair stares back at me and I know it isn't Joshua. I hear a small argument outside that catches my attention. I look back through the flames when a short body peeks through my door.

"Hey, Hey. Where's your mom?" I ask the little girl who couldn't be older than 5. She hugs herself and shrugs. "Okay...okay." I tell her as I pick her up and rundown a flight of stairs. A chinch of the ceiling falls over the staircase trapping me from leaving.

"Fuck." I whisper. Small coughs echo from my shoulder making me hit the little girls back slightly trying to get the smoke out of her lungs.

"Put your face here okay?" I tell her motioning to my shoulder. She does as told while I internally fret where to go. Screaming is heard outside making me go to the closet window. I look down the 12 flights to see everyone coughing, crying, and screaming. A short black woman cries into Morgans shoulder as she screams for her baby. Once Morgan sees me from the broken window he yells at the firemen to get something to catch us.

"Isla you're gonna have to jump!" Morgan yells and I bite my lip. I slowly retreat out of the window and hold the young girl to my chest.

"Okay your gonna have to trust me okay?" I ask. The little girl nods and hugs me tight. I duck her head with my arm before running to the broken window. I turn around so my back faces the outside as I feel myself fall 12 stories. I hold the little girl in between me as if I was shielding her, waiting for the impact.

The material of the life net suffocates me and a small hit is felt on my back and behind my head. I open my eyes to see everyone looking down at me. I see mouths moving but don't hear anything besides a small ringing. People start getting pushed before Morgan's worried face hovers over me. The same woman from before pushes next to him and smiles when she sees her baby. She takes her from my trembling hands gratefully. I sit up feeling pain in my head.

The ringing never stops but small sounds slither back.

"Isla! Isla! Can you hear me?" Morgan tells. I scrunch my eyes together in pain and hold my head.

"Ma'am can you hear me." An authoritative voice asks. I slowly nod my head once, never letting go of my head and Morgan's hand.

"Can you open your eyes and tell me how many fingers I'm holding up?" He asks and I slowly open my eyes. Everything was blurry until it slowly settled in.

"3" I answer before I see the mans and Morgan's face fall. "I mean 2!" I lie trying to get them to believe I'm fine. He shakes his head and I bite my lip. "It's 1! I was just playing the first few times." I insist.

"Isla you have a concussion." Morgan tells me and I shake my head hastily.

"No I don't! I'm fine!" I tell him and he balances on his knees.

"Than why are you yelling and have your eyes barely open?" He asks and I furrow my brows.

"I'm yelling?" I ask and he chuckles before hugging me tightly.

"God you scared the shit out of me." He whispers and I hug him back.

"Sorry." I tell him. He pulls away and holds my face, a few tears line his face. I pout and wipe his face.

"Why are you crying?" I ask and he just shakes his head and hugs me. I hug him back until he feels the need to let go.

"I love you." He whispers into my ear. I smile and bite my lip.

"I love you too." I tell him before he ushers me into an ambulance.

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

We get to the hospital and Morgan carries me inside.

"Back so soon-" Leo and I's doctor starts to say before he places down his board. "What happened!" He asks as he jogs to where Morgan carries my body. He examines over my slightly bloody body and ashy skin from the flames. I cough violently before grabbing my head in pain.

"Ran into a burning building. She stayed in for too long and had to jump out 12 stories." Morgan explains in a rush.

"Okay let's go." The doctor says as Morgan places me on a long bed. The doctor nudges his way between Morgan and I before running me into the E.R, leaving Morgan in the waiting room. 

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

"Doc says you have a concision, a few scapes, and some ash particles in the lungs. Overall you should be fine. You can go back to work by next week." Morgan says as he sits on my bedside.

"I feel like I just got back to work. Now I'm stuck again." I complain.

"It's only a week." Morgan reminds me.

"What time is it?" I ask and Morgan checks his watch.

"5am." He answers.

"Go home and get some rest. There's probably going to be a case soon." I tell him. He shakes his head causing me to sigh.

"Morgan go to bed. I'm fine here." I tell him.

"Isla your apartment just got burned to the ground. Right after what happened to Leo, I doubt that's a coincidence." He explains.

"It's not, but I'm safe in a hospital. Please go home, I'll call you when I wake up." I plead. After minutes of begging he finally gives in.

"Fine. Goodnight baby girl." He says exhausted. I smirk at my victory and lean into my pillow.

"Goodnight." I tell him before he pecks my lips and leaves. Lack of sleep helps me fall asleep, with the help of the medication.

★*゚*☆*゚*★*゚*☆*゚*★

Hope you enjoyed!!

Vote and comment!

Word count: 1373