CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

The night was cold but Liliya was home. It had been a week and she had never been happier to see the walls of the Little Palace. Her black kefta fit snug around her waist as she slipped off her horse. A servant taking a hold of his reins and the two disappeared inside. Her fingers dragged through her hair and she stretched, cracking her back.

Her gaze flicked over the front of the Palace, noting that most of the lights were out before she looked back to the entrance. It was ajar and she knew she was expecting so she headed inside.

The palace was quiet but peaceful. A different kind of peaceful than she was used to. Not the peace of the forest, twittering of birds so faint that it was barely perceptible. No that's not what this was. It was different but a good different. It was a nice change from the monotony of the week. Spending so much time in little villages had been dull.

Now, she was back and Aleksander would be waiting for her. Her boots clicked against the floor as she swayed her hips, ignoring anyone that gave her questioning looks. She had quickly grown used to them over the past year. Everything had changed but she felt good, better. Better than before.

Her knuckles knocked against the door of his bedroom but she opened anyway, sliding inside. It was more of a warning, notifying him than actually asking permission. It was their bedroom now not that either of them admitted it. Her heeled boots kicked the door closed as she began to unbutton her kefta.

Aleksander was lying in bed. A book in hand, his gaze didn't even move up when he heard her move inside. Sliding the kefta off her, she let it drop to the floor before she toed her boots off. Glad to be out of them as she removed her socks and began to work on the buttons of her blouse. The silence ebbing between them until Aleksander looked up.

His gaze landing on the kefta and staying there while Liliya paid no attention. She heard a soft huff, the smirk spreading across her face as she pulled the blouse over her head. She then stripped her pants off and walked over to the dresser. Her fingers skimming over to the drawer before pulling it out and grabbing one of her nightdresses.

But before she could slip it on, two arms wrapped around her waist. A black kefta held in front of her face as she felt Aleksander's beard pressed against the side of her neck. His dark eyes on her face.

"What did I tell you?" He whispered. His voice was low and made Liliya weak at the knees. It was absurd how much she had missed his voice. It was like black treacle. Her head tilted to meet his gaze, a small smile on her lips.

"Don't leave it on the floor," She responded. Kirigan hummed in agreement as he stepped back from her. His hand slipping from resting against her bare stomach as he walked over to the wardrobe.

"Then why was it on the floor?" He asked. Liliya rolled her eyes and pulled the night dress over her head, shrugging. He then placed the kefta into the washing box. It was already full of his clothes that needed to be washed.