More Bitter Than Sweet

LATE MAY, 2021

prompt by @/warnadud3 on twitter. there were multiple prompts and i might use some later, but for now, the story is about one of them and one of them only:
---> what if they couldn't get virgil back after the duckout?
------> enjoy :]

"Those are just silly cartoons, they're not even realistic!... But if will be, I will destroy them for you, Patton."

"Thanks, but let's call them what they are, Roman."

"Spider curtai-"

"Creepy crawly death dealers."

"...Okay."

"Alright, but like," Thomas intrerrupted, "if this is his room... Where is Anxie-"

"What are you doing in my room?!"

Thomas screamed, followed by a rather fake yell from Logan and a high-pitched screech from Roman. Patton, however, was only bothered by one aspect: those stupid spider curtains.

"AAH! I think one of them moved!" he exclaimed.

"Anxiety?" Thomas blinked. "Oh my goodness, I'm so happy to see you- That's weird?"

"You literally all just screamed in unison upon seeing me," Anxiety squinted his eyes.

"Sorry, it's just you do this thing," Logan said, "where you just kind of... appear."

"Wait, what am I wearing? What is my hair?!" Thomas frowned.

"Welcome back, Thomas!" Roman happily said as he handed him a comb.

"Thanks, Roman. Look," Thomas turned to Virgil after throwing the comb back at Roman, receiving an offended "Ow!... C'mon..." from the prince, "Anxiety, you don't understand. For some reason, I wasn't feeling your presence at all."

"Yeah, I know. It's because I've decided to duck out," Anxiety looked away.

"Quack-"

"What- duck out?"

"Quack quack?"

"That's a thing you can do?" Roman raised an eyebrow.

"For this video, I guess," Logan muttered.

"What do you mean?" Thomas turned to Anxiety.

"I removed myself from the equation," the other replied. "I quit - decided it wasn't worth it anymore."

"Why would you do that?"

"Well, it didn't seem like I was wanted. You all made that pretty clear anytime I showed up."

"Wha-"

"Well, surely," Roman cut Patton off, "you knew that we were just preparing ourselves for the worst po-... Okay, uh, maybe I should rephrase that," he awkwardly said, earning a glare from Anxiety. "We were just tensing up because we knew something bad would-" The other raised a hand in both confusion and exasperation. "Look, it's just- you're never really fun, and-"

"Roman, shut up," Thomas told him.

Roman scoffed. "Look, I am the creative side, not the fluffy, cutesy, kind, wordsy side, sooo..."

"One would think that the creative side would be able to come up with a nicer way to talk to others," Logan frowned.

"You'd think the smart side would know how to mind his own business!" Roman said.