The following morning, (F/n) found herself almost afraid to go out and talk to Xiao

The following morning, (F/n) found herself almost afraid to go out and talk to Xiao. She didn't want to make things awkward, but she wanted to seek comfort in his warmth. Peeking around the corner, she spotted Xiao wiping some pots that had fallen the other day. Even though his aura was quite sinister she could not help but call out to him.

"Xiao!" her voice was somewhat soft, still worn out from her depressed state that filled her senses.

He snapped his head around then blushed intensely, turning away again. (F/n) sighed as she realized that he could not get over his embarrassment easily. Then she realized that being upfront would be a far better option.

After all, she sought for warmth in his arms.

Xiao's eyes were cold as breath fell from escaping his mouth in soft wisps. He glanced at her with the same narrow yellow slitted eyes, but this time there was a deeper emotion hidden within them. Inside of them was a flicker of anxiety.

She backed away once she saw the look in his eyes and sighed. "Sorry."

Xiao didn't say anything in response.

He turned his back to her and started cutting the carrots once more. (F/n) couldn't help but feel sad about the look in his eyes. Was she really that much of a pain to be around? She wanted to avoid sulking but... as the hollow feeling of both of her lost parents settled in, sorrow set in around her once more. It isn't a bad dream. I can't just wake up and everything will be okay.

They're both gone.

She would rather have been screamed at by Father or hear Mother's cries than to be all alone. (F/n) was trapped in a house with a deadly yaksha who could end her life at any moment, the only thing constricting him was the curse he had so casually laid upon them. She winced at a sharp pain in her finger.

"Shit," Xiao muttered. He turned around and dipped his head apologetically. "My mind is far beyond Teyvat at the moment, my apologies."

Normally those kind words would have warmed (F/n)'s heart and would give her a giddy feeling, but now... all she did was clench her fists as the sorrow inside her was replaced with a bitter rage.

"It's no problem," (F/n) spat, a bit harsher than she had intended to, and spun around, leaving the room melodramatically and making sure to slam the door behind her. Contempt blazed in her chest as she realized she was now in her Mother's room. The hollow echo of water dripping from the ceiling was the only sound she could hear. Gone was Mother's soft breathing as she slept, instead an eerie silence that wasn't worth two shits.

The continuous stabbing pain in her finger started to ebb away as she sat in silence, grieving the silence of the quiet abode that was now all her own. (F/n) wanted to cry out with her lungs until they were bleeding and could no longer speak.