Part 6-Rest Stop

They stopped at a gas station on the edge of town to fill the tank and grab snacks. Sage let Peter be in charge of the food while she pumped the gas. He returned with cheetos, mountain dew, lemonade, oreos, poptarts, pepsi, chocolate milk, two cinnamon rolls and jerky plus one very large water bottle. "I wasn't sure what you would want." Peter said when they got back in the car.

Sage shook her head and took the water, "You did great."

Peter smiled as she started the car.

"Might as well get comfy," Sage said. "It's going to be a long drive."

Peter started setting up a little nest of sorts around the passenger seat. He filled all the available cupholders, plugged in his phone so he could play music, grabbed a blanket from the back and reclined his seat. King sat up and hovered over Peter for a minute until he moved his seat back up. Sage laughed, "You're actually in his spot."

Peter turned around to pet King, "I'm honored you would let me have your throne for a few hours King."

Sage laughed again, no one ever talked to her dog like that.

After a few hours of driving they stopped at a rest area and let King stretch his legs. Peter offered to walk King around while Sage used the restroom, she was hesitant but agreed.

Peter began walking King around the building when his phone started to buzz in his pocket. King gave him a sideways glance but ultimately returned his gaze back to the building; he was waiting for Sage to return. Peter pulled out his phone and read the caller ID, it was Happy Hogan. But Happy never called- unless something was wrong. He looked at the doors to make sure Sage hadn't come out yet before he answered the phone. "Hello? Happy?"

"Hey, kid, I'm looking at your tracker right now. Where are you going?"

"Oh, I'm on a roadtrip with a friend."

"Why'd you bring your suit?"

"I always bring my suit when I go places."

"Mhm," Happy didn't sound convinced. "If I find out you-"

Suddenly, Sage came walking out the doors.

"Yeah I gotta go Happy." Sage looked at him strangely and he tried to cover by saying, "Birthday. Happy Birthday"

"Kid? What are you-" Happy didn't have a chance to finish because Peter hung up the phone.

Sage took King's leash from Peter, "Who's birthday is it?"

"Uh, my cousin's." He said.

"Okay then, are you alright? You seem off." Sage said as she started to walk King.

Peter cleared his throat, "Yeah, I just get nervous around you-" Then he heard himself, "Oh no."

"It's okay," Sage said, "We have an entire car ride to entertain that awkward idea." She touched his shoulder.

"Huh?" Peter said.

"Nevermind," Sage laughed.